Not going there again

One of the local fly shops had a guy working there that you never knew what kind of mood he was going to be in. One time it was like he was your best friend and the next time he acted like you spit in his soup. But he's gone now and I don't hear the negative comments about this anymore.

Can't remember his name but the fe3llow who ran and owned i assume "COLD SPRING ANGLERS" in CARLISLE was one of the gruffest old goats i ever met who was tryingto make a living running a fly shop where i think you have to be at least somewhat pleasant.

since we are on the subject of fly shops and service, I just bought a set of wading boots at orvis plymouth meeting mall. yeah, they sell alot of clothes (and they wouldnt be there if they didnt), but I have had help from people who are in to fishing. I wanted new boots fast since I had been getting blisters, and they had a few good boot models, with each model in stock in several sizes. I got to try the boots on with the waders Ill use them with, and the guy from the store was very helpful and patient as I tried several boots on. new boots are good and no blisters so far.

if I had ordered online without trying things on, the fit would not be nearly as good and it would have just made for delays and returns ....

I have had some less than great experiences at other shops here and there, but consider myself lucky to have access to the sporting gentleman in media, orvis plymouth meeting, and the evening hatch up by blakeslee,,,

fly shop guys can be like the record shop guys in the movie High Fidelity, the line between colorful and cranky can be a thin one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eBh6xipKYk

The owner of that shop is a decent guy. I think the problem is the young guy he has working/ guiding for him.

It might be just be me, but I tend to think that difficult or occasionally moody or mercurial employees in independent fly shops are a part of the overall charm of the places. Up to a certain point, anyway. I generally don't hold them to the same customer service standards or expectations as I would a sales guy at Macy's or the local Ford dealer. Most of them don't have extensive retail training in the care and feeding of the (often) difficult, moody and mercurial public.

If it gets bad enough, I vote with my feet and go elsewhere...

To the fellow from Jamestown: My Grandparents lived there and we made the trip from southern Erie County up to see them about once every other month. Its too bad my Mom isn't around any more. She was a real spitfire and probably could have ironed out your fly shop guy in short order.

She got caught in a speed trap in Busti doing 42 in a 35 mph zone. She got so PO'd that she ran over the cop's foot as she put the car in gear to go once the business was finished. Just his toes though. Cracked him up and he rescinded the ticket wrote her a warning instead. We could see him laughing for as long as he stayed in view as we drove away. This was a long time ago. Johnson or maybe it was Grant was President...

RLeeP wrote:
It might be just be me, but I tend to think that difficult or occasionally moody or mercurial employees in independent fly shops are a part of the overall charm of the places. Up to a certain point, anyway. I generally don't hold them to the same customer service standards or expectations as I would a sales guy at Macy's or the local Ford dealer. Most of them don't have extensive retail training in the care and feeding of the (often) difficult, moody and mercurial public.

Agree - well said and puts things in perspective.
Many fly shops are staffed with folks who know a heckuva lot about FFing and local waters and, if you take the time to befriend them, will teach you a lot of valuable stuff. At least this has been my experience with some - certainly not all - fly shops.
With this said, of course, there's a point of diminishing returns with some employees where their eccentricities exceed their value with respect to the bottom line.

If the guy or gal behind the counter of any retail business can't deal with people, they have no business being there in the first place.

Afish is correct. When you're in sales, you have to be polite and helpful, regardless of your moods. It doesn't matter if you're face-to-face, over the phone, or internet chatting.

Back