Northern Lancaster County Yellow Stone

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

HPIM2327.jpg

These things are big and buzz around in decent numbers during summer months in the woods up there. Size 14# and 16 work well.

sal most likely a; Least Sallfly (Haploperla brevis)

Attachments

• 1873.gif
    1873.gif
    4 KB · Views: 6
Where do these distribution maps come from? And how complete do you think they are?

A lot of scientific studies, there is some run over but the maps show the heavy concentrations of the insects. all data is compiled from different places and then put into maps.

As for yellow sallys there are several different species and sizes to found in pa. here is a pic of a size 12 medium and a size 16 small yellow sally, 2 different species of stone fly both from Pa.

Attachments

• DSCN0801.JPG
    DSCN0801.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 8
Your probably right sandfly.

To imitate them I just throw a yellow elk hair caddis or a stimulator.

Sand, you should post a close-up of that nymph so we can see some detail. May be more appropriate in fly tying forum. From what I can see it looks great.

Dave R.

Dave,
thats an old Orvis pattern, will have to look for it, the one in pic was used for measurment sz.12

Now that is one that I know should be in berks county. Along with lime sallies.

A beautiful tie. Please post the recipe.

contestphoto.jpg

When I see a distribution map like that, I question them too. Spotty distribution over a wide variety of terrain. It just reeks of missing data. I'd guess that the species depicted in that map could be in every single county in PA.

Cept maybe Philadelphia, because the only animals that live there are rats and city slickers. j/k.

I tie up some down wing flies with yellow wings and body, I call them a yellow sally, but it's really a yellow caddis.

Back