No Wild Trout in PA

Did he tell you to write your state rep too? Honestly at this point the PFBC is laying in the bed they made. IMO they've been 100% consumed by the hatchery program of years past and it will be their demise. The writing is on the wall with all their fiscal issues. Its a shame because they do some great things.

Running a stocking program is a necessary component of fisheries management however, your stocking program can't be your fisheries management plan.

Oh I so wish I was there to have someone say that! Would have followed him all the way to bellefonte caught a fish out of spring creek and ask him when they last stocked it.

Easy for you to say, it would on on the way home for you!

yeah and stoping to fish for those fish on Spring Creek would be along the way anyway.

SBecker wrote:
He honestly had to be a ninja troll level over 9000, because I can not get it off my mind. I have no idea why I am heading out to State College Friday. Guess to chase stockies?

There are no trout in State College.

I know, going Musky fishing.

Close all the hatcherys down. Let the streams in this state get back to glory they once had. No stocking to me means no people on the stream an more wild fish for the 'actually' fishermen to persue.

For that hatchery worker to say there is now wild trout in PA is just plane ignorant on his part.

Phish_On wrote:
Close all the hatcherys down. Let the streams in this state get back to glory they once had.

Just as absurd as saying there are no wild trout in PA.

FWIW, I loathe the current stocking program and the associated mentality. But, I don't advocate a total shutdown of the state's hatchery either.

PennKev wrote:
Phish_On wrote:
Close all the hatcherys down. Let the streams in this state get back to glory they once had.

Just as absurd as saying there are no wild trout in PA.

FWIW, I loathe the current stocking program and the associated mentality. But, I don't advocate a total shutdown of the state's hatchery either.

To each there own.

As I read this, it sorta-kinda made me wonder if the attitude of that worker lends any credence to my experience just below the paradise two weeks ago.

I had not fished spring for the last 10 years, however long story short, my friend and I were checking out the water from our vehicle, about 500 yards below the paradise lot.

We saw fish rising, and in our excitement, I pulled the car off to the side of the road on a very clear gravel pull off.

We quickly rigged up, and tied on some BWO's

About 15 minutes later, a state vehicle comes barreling down the road flips its overhead lights on, and a fella jumps out and completely berates me for being so dumb as to park in a no parking zone.

Truth be told, I was unknowingly guilty, but wow, I had never been so belittled and treated unprofessionally in my entire life!

On the way home, I wondered what made this guy snap like that. He could have approached it completely different, but I was bummed, and felt like trash about it.

The moral of the story? I wonder if his attitude had anything to do with him losing his job....?

Five days later, while being the only person fishing penn's in ingleby, the most polite FB Commissioner introduced himself stream side to me, explained the new slot limits they were considering, and spent a good 30 minutes exchanging stories. Never asked to see my license, he just knew.... Class A state worker.

I agree there are good and bad workers, the good that are affected by the closings will hopefully be able to relocate, the bad and ignorant ones, well, time to put on the walmart smiley pin!

Heberly wrote:

About 15 minutes later, a state vehicle comes barreling down the road flips its overhead lights on, and a fella jumps out and completely berates me for being so dumb as to park in a no parking zone.

Truth be told, I was unknowingly guilty, but wow, I had never been so belittled and treated unprofessionally in my entire life!
Well, depending on his choice of words (did he actually say you were dumb?) I might have had a little something to say to him in return! Parking in the wrong area isn't the end of the world.

Heh... give some guys a uniform and they think they own the place.

Back