New to fly fishing

Z

zgrsk269

I’ve been reading multiple threads on the forum for a few weeks now and I’m just confused on some areas. I recently started fly fishing and would like to go out before work to practice my casting and all. The closest creek to me is Fishing Creek, in Columbia county, but that’s still about a 45 minute drive for me. Can anyone tell me if I can access this creek LEGALLY and if it’s safe for me to go out on the water and practice my casting, stripping, etc. Not looking for specific coordinates on your honey holes, just in general if I can climb into the water and practice (and hopefully catch a fish or two). Like I said been reading different threads about riparian laws, lawsuits that are going on, navigable vs non navigable. I just want to try to learn in peace without being confronted or anything. Thank you all!

If you are just trying to work on your casting almost any creek would work. I am sure that you can find one closer to you that should not be a problem.

I hunt and hike a lot and one thing I use all the time is the ONX mapping app on my phone. It shows you who owns the land, access points, trails, pretty much anything you need to know. I think the basic for one state is $35/year.

If you are just working on casting an stripping, you may get less frustrated as a beginner with pond or lake. the still water will be much more kind to your pick-up and you will able to see whats going on a little easier. If you're working on your drift and presentation, then you'll need moving water. If that still water has bluegill, you'll have a lot more fun learning too.

you could always practice in your yard rather then a 45 min drive. thats how i learned the basics. i just didnt have a fly on the end of leader. i built my confidence up and then hit the water. just something to think about. enjoy the sport and good luck!

Grass doesn't give you surface tension for your pick up. You can haul and false cast but pick it up and toss it in one motion like on water. I think that's why some get discouraged learning in the yard. And forget about a roll cast.

If you have a creek nearby (which you probly do) that has chubs or fallfish in it, i would start there. I learned to do alot of my casting in my yard by taking a junk fly and cutting the hook off. A park with a pond would do wonders also. Again, just cut the hook off and it doesnt matter whats inside. They also sell practice tools to help.

Grass doesn't give you surface tension for your pick up. You can haul and false cast but pick it up and toss it in one motion like on water. I think that's why some get discouraged learning in the yard. And forget about a roll cast.
The other thing about grass casting is that it can ruin a good fly line. It’s abrasive and can cut and scratch the coating. I do a lot of casting practice on grass but I use old lines. I also have just a dedicated casting line that has similar taper to the lines I fish most often. Grass cast lines will not float or mend as well.

I hunt and hike a lot and one thing I use all the time is the ONX mapping app on my phone. It shows you who owns the land, access points, trails, pretty much anything you need to know. I think the basic for one state is $35/year.
Yup I have it for hunting. That’s where I started to look. I am just getting confused on the riparian laws of it all. I spoke with PFBC and the rep I spoke to basically said it’s a gray area and you CAN get in trouble if they own both sides, because you need to prove it’s navigable etc etc. I said all I want to do is stand in a spot, practice throwing my line out and hopefully catching a fish to make me happy. Lmao.

you could always practice in your yard rather then a 45 min drive. thats how i learned the basics. i just didnt have a fly on the end of leader. i built my confidence up and then hit the water. just something to think about. enjoy the sport and good luck!
I have been doing this as well. Figured if I can maybe get a fish or two (c&r) plus practicing it would make me feel a little better about what I’m practicing. I just don’t want no legal issues from anything.

The other thing about grass casting is that it can ruin a good fly line. It’s abrasive and can cut and scratch the coating. I do a lot of casting practice on grass but I use old lines. I also have just a dedicated casting line that has similar taper to the lines I fish most often. Grass cast lines will not float or mend as well.
I use an old leader for when I am practicing my grass casting. I’ve read that it’s not the best for practicing but I tried finding closer streams/creeks (I have some, just shallow and narrow) so I figured I pass by fishing creek in my travels. I just figured I’d try that out. When I googled it and looked up on the forum I saw people were having issues up there so I didn’t want to waste my time getting chased off.

Back