New to fly fishing

Its marked 5/6. It did come with line, and I had guys from 2 fly shops check it out and they both said I would be ok for now.

How long should a leader last? I've gone through 3 or 4 already, in a month. Breaking flies off or getting caught in trees, and every time the leader gets shorter. I was looking into making my own last night, but honestly I came away more confused than anything. And I've already seen what you mean about expensive, but honestly, its less expensive than my last hobby, so I can't complain too much.

I don't think I've said it yet, and I meant to, but thank you every one for all the help!

Let me add my "welcome aboard" GG

As for going through leaders you a few options. As you said, make your own.

Or you can go the furled leader route, at least part of the time. They have a little ring at the end called a tippet ring and you just keep tying new tippet to it.

Or you can buy tippet rings, tie one to the end of the leader, and change tippet as necessary without cutting original leader.

I normally start with around 3 feet of 8 or 10 lb spiderwire. to a 4 feet of 4lb spiderwire to a dry fly and then up to 3 1/2 feet of 2lb Flouro to the nymph. This usually give me the best set up. I will normally change out the 2lb flouro if it gets a knot in it within 2 feet or less of the nymph. My two lb flouro is tied to the hook shaft of the dryfly.

Back