New Smyrna Beach / Daytona area for surf fishing

GonnaFlyNow

GonnaFlyNow

Anyone know this area for fishing? I will be visiting family next week and will bring my fly rod with me.

Thanks in advance.

There's a flyshop in Winter Park , Orlando Outfitters that is helpful. I've fished mosquito lagoon which gets hammered with crowds and I'd doubt I'd go back there . But New Symrna isn't easy either , there are areas to fish , like I said the local shops help , or you could get a guide . Definitely eat at JBs fish camp you won't be sorry .

about 100 colleges have spring break next week. If all else fails there is always the bikini hatch.

tomgamber wrote:
about 100 colleges have spring break next week. If all else fails there is always the bikini hatch.

My kind of hatch LOL

Surf fishing-no problem
Former Daytonian here,[sp]
north of Daytona [ormand beach] all kinds of access points-just drive the beach road-both north of N.S. and south same thing-google it up-plenty of pull-offs-south of N.S. there was access to intracoastal and on the ocean side,a nude beach-the Halifax river,right at Daytona is loaded with reds,trout and many other species HOWEVER-[hint] this is not flyrod country and I am not just spinning B.S.-right tackle can be awesome fishing-REALLY awesome-wrong outfit-well you can find that out for yourself.

Pete,

What are your thoughts on fishing around ramp 5/Apollo beach? It would be ideal to fish both sides. Also thinking about renting a canoe.

Smyrna dunes park also looks cool. I originally wanted to surf fish until I saw the Lagoon. My eyes are bigger than my stomach!! I hear what your saying about the fly rod/spin reel option. Usually I bring both. I have a big craving for some salt water fly action. I will adapt to conditions when I get down there.

Cheers,

fishing around ramps,shorelines can be very good,or frustrating-reach is the issue-I saw many frustrated flyrodders not able to make the long casts usually needed,especially at low tide-we are talking wade fishing,if you rent boat or kayak different world-high tide often backcast room troubling as often you will be right up against the mangroves-you can find good places for flyrodding where you can hit the holding water but that takes a lot of searching,usually the worthwhile fish will be in about 10% of the water[creek mouths,oyster bars,channels etc.] the other 90% will have few and far between targets---about the same as when a flatlander dude hits the Yellowstone for the first time as I found out when I moved to Montana 50 years ago-specialized tackle for the Letort will leave you with tears in your eyes and empty wallet when you go back to town and get what the local yokels use.lol-good luck

Just a quick update,

Monday saw 25 mph winds, so no fishing. Tuesday, Jacks were hot but only if you were using shrimp. So no fly rod action but Jacks were all over the place specifically if you were fishing under the route 44 bridge. We fished here due to it being the only dry place to fish in the AM. Later we headed over to Maynard May Park. Shrimp were getting lots of pinfish and blow fish. Also, dolphins were about 100 yards out, sometimes coming within 40 yards of where we were. The Dolpnins were killing the big red fish. Some pretty cool takes. I tried to cast out in the deeper water to pick off some reds but my timing was off and I came up short.

Wednesday, was windy. Gusts were up to 35 mph. I caught a fish or two. Reminded me of Erie snowmageddon at 65 degrees. I packed it up early.

Thursday, was 74 degrees and sunny. I thought this would be the day for big fish. I caught a little toothy critter that was about a foot long and about an inch wide. Looked like a garfish/ribbon fish.

Overall, there was some rough water and weather for most of the trip but catching lots of fish was doable. Nothing on the fly this trip but I knew conditions weren't good for the fly action.

Cheers,

yeah JB's is good. walk the beaches early and late, flounder, blues all year

Back