new guy

Im not familiar with that combo...but than there are alot of rods out there these days. It sounds like an ok set up to start with.
Once you start getting the hang of things you may choose to upgrade. I still use one of my first rods a renegade from time to time that I purchased at walmart.

You may want to get some indicators or use a dry fly as an indicator when nymphing. Put the indicator on at an estimated water depth. The nymph needs to tick bottom. When the indicator goes below the surface it means one of two things....fish on or a snag.

Not familiar with that combo, but like PPFlyer, my first rod was a $20 special at Walmart. My Daughter still fishes with it.

As far as fame and fortune...Fish, fish, fish. Then fish some more. As PennyPackFlyer suggested, start with a big floaty fly (that you can see) with a nymph tied on long enough to get down to the fish.

This is actually one of my favorite times of year to fish. If you're in SEPA, there's plenty of streams. Ask questions when you meet people on the stream. Not all, but most are happy to share their knowledge.

francisj wrote:
i got the quarrow combo from dicks.its 5 wt with line leader and case and ive seen some good vids on the web. now how do i get to carrinagee hall???

Now for the River/Creek side......
Each creek or river will have pools (deeper, slower moving water) where trout will normally sit and wait for a meal to come to them. Pools vary in size and depth. For me, most of my takes are at the beginning of a pool or at the end. As you let your line drift through the area, you will need to take up the slack in the line. Not too fast where it causes your fly to create a wake. You want your presentation to "go with the flo" and look natural.

Bass, Sunnies, pickerel, muskies etc. on the other hand like alot of movement. And some times the faster the better.

(Important: if you see a trout do not cast on top of them - but well in front so that your nymph will be to their swimming level long before it gets to them.)

(Important: If you don't see a trout it does not mean that none are there. Trout like to hid around rocks and tree logs, and ambush their prey. And hide from being prey.) With that said, rocky bottoms are much better than sandy bottoms.

Water clarity: Plays an important roll in location of fish and fly selection:
Clear water - natural color flies,
Stained water - Bright colors, Flashy flies, noisy flies
(My observation is that when water is stained, fish will be closer to the shorelines.)

Best time of the day: For me - mornings or evenings bring on the most action. 6 - 7 am until 11:00 am and 5:00 p.m. tell sundown.
Hope this will help you in the hunt for the fish that Fly Fisherman put above all the rest. The great MOBY TROUT (10lbs or above).

Any combo in a 5wt should get ya goin Quarrow is good , I do have a question though JACK M how did you manage to lose a fly rod? Just curious.

I was fishing with friends at Penns Creek. Back at the car for breakdown and a couple beers. Drove back to Hemlock Acres and in the morning couldn't find rod, just an empty tube. I must have leaned the rod against a tree or something near the cars instead of putting it away as is my first task by habit. Went down next morning early and could not locate it anywhere.

I am not sure of the direction of this thread but jumping in at this point reminds me to remind you to ALWAYS PUT YOUR ROD AWAY FIRST when returning to the car. Make it a routine, a religion, like burying the dead.

I have left, lost, and broken several rods not following this rule.

Once in Boiling Springs at the Run I finished fishing in a downpour, leaned my rod against the pavillion and waited out the rain, when it slowed I thought I could get my shoes and get out of my waders, After undressing I hustled to the trunk threw my stuff in and drove off...remembering about 15 miles away and then looking int he empty tube I turned around and returned to an older gentleman who was standing guard over my rod stating "I wondered how long it would take for whomever left this to return" It was still pouring.

Another time I took it apart and put it on top of my jeep wranglers rag top. Closed up shop and drove away....then when I go to the grocery store on the way home to buy lunchmeat for some reason I walked around my vehicle and saw the rod tip lying behind the spare tire. Made it 25 miles just sitting there balancing. DAMN!@%#&. Off I go back to the crik found the butt section lying where I spun the car around.

Another time same vehicle, leaving the creek with the rod and CFO reel on the roof. I remember about 150 yards up this hill. I pull over, ask if my buddy, who is following me out saw anything come off the roof he says no. My rod tip is in the middle of the road between his tires and the butt section back where we started. Ahhhh the reel, well we spent 45 minutes combing through a leaf filled ditch along the road about 50 yards in length. but found it.

Its tough to be me......but it doesn't have to be for you if you follow that simple rule of putting the damn thing away first.

Yeah always put the rod away first at the end of the day. Hang around long enough on the message board and you'll see more posts like Maurice's.
Neshaminy Creek doesn't get lot of attention from the stocking truck, but it is a decent warm water fishery. When I was a kid it was stocked headwaters to the mouth and all the tribs. Now it's just few places. But there are other places to fish. Just hang out, you'll learn a lot, WELCOME!

I fished the same creek many times. Loved the small mouth bass action. I've hooked up with several 3 lb's on my 3wt Orvis. also nymphing for carp provided some great fights as well. Trout Stocking of the creeks this year (2012) seamed to be distributed only in a few areas of the creek. I normally fish Pennypack park and the number of fish to the areas available was far less this year than last. Especially the Fall stocking. I believe I need to start thinking outside of the box and try some other waterways this winter. possibly up in Pikes County.

Back