New fly shop opening in the Lehigh Valley

I stopped in there one day a week or so just to window shop. The owner/operator, Phil, was in and we spent a good hour just chatting about things in general.

He's a nice enough guy, he promises that his tying section isn't complete, and it seems like its a pretty nice shop with a heavy emphasis on the clothing and accrourements one might need to have "a sporting lifestyle." Whatever, $100 dog beds and casmere sweaters may not be on my list of desires, but if selling those is what pays the bills so he can have a little corner well stocked with fur and feathers, who am I to complain?

The one thing I took away from my talk with the owner is that this isn't a money making enterprise for him as much as its a hobby and a past time. There's not much else around me, really, for stores, an LL Bean with barely any tying supplies and the LL Fly Shop where my short discussion with the owner left me with little desire to patronize his store.

I frequent that store as well and they have always treated us very well. If they don't have what you need, they'll get it. If they say they will show you where to fish, they will. We've fished a couple of spots they mentioned and there are some monster browns in the Lackawanna. They are also active members of the re-established TU chapter for the Lackawanna Valley. Nice shop, nice people.

tomf52 wrote:
I recently went into the Dickson City Orvis up here in NE PA for a few simple tying materials. Less than $15 worth. Haven't spent $50 there in the four years I have lived up here. While on this last visit I asked the owner about local stream access and he immediately yelled over to his worker to mind the store and offered to take me out in his car to show me the local points. That is one Orvis I will be going back to.

That's what I call service. I've learned a heck of a lot talking to people in the real fly shops. The independent shops are a big part of flyfishing in PA, IMHO.

They will really take you out and show you some spots if there is someone to mind the store. I know people beat up Orvis a bit but they have helped us out a ton with so much stuff, locally. They are a nice group doing what they love and that's no different than anyone else on this site. They love fly fishing. One of the guys lent my son his Oakley sunglasses when he made the USA youth team. I do believed they were returned slightly more scratched then when he borrowed them. And I do believe the gentleman that owned them wore and scratched them himself a few times fishing before that. Absolutely great guys!

wetnet wrote:
I know people beat up Orvis a bit but they have helped us out a ton with so much stuff, locally. They are a nice group doing what they love and that's no different than anyone else on this site. They love fly fishing.

Of course, people are better or worse than others. However, the arrogance that was associated with Orvis really doesn't fit anymore.
If you want arrogance, you're more or just as likely to find that at a Sage/Simms/Ross reels place than an Orvis shop. The only jerky Orvis place I KNOW of, or KNEW of, was the Orvis in Tyson's corner. A manager there was just kinda odd and misanthropic. I think they may have tired of yuppies, but that's just a guess.

My friend guides out of an All Orvis shop in Big Sky and those guys are tried and true brothers of the Feathered Fraud. Fish Heads through and through. Helpful, friendly, not pushy and in no way corporate tools. They'll help anybody as much as they can, as any really good fly shop would do.

Syl

i stopped by the new place a couple weeks ago and figured i'd give my report:

I had a shopping list of some basics i needed for tying. Figured i'd try to pick them up locally (i'm about 3 miles from this shop) rather than order and support the new place.

First impressions: Well as stated earlier in the thread, the place is 95% clothing. They have just as many dog beds as fly tying supplies. In the outskirts of the clothing store, i noticed one little spot for rods, one little spot for waders and boots and one LITTLE place for tying supplies...

So i found the tying area and started down my list. They had about 60% of what i was looking for (i didn't have anything crazy on my list - just basics mind you). Now, to their credit they were still stocking. Behind the counter,and even ON the counter were piles and piles of tying supplies still being inventoried and ready to hang on the shelves. So this should improve.

Prices? its an Orvi$ store - what do you expect?

Service - i met two people there - one was an older man, very friendly and meant well. He seemed to be local and a fisherman. The other i "met" was either the manager or owner. I put "met" in quotes because i only saw him when the guy helping me had a question for him. This other guy was on his cell phone the entire time, even when he came by to answer his employee's question, he remained on the phone. Didn't acknowledge me either. Just kept chatting on the phone while he fiddled with the cash register, entered some codes and left -still talking on the phone (can you tell that's a pet peeve of mine?)

So overall, I'm glad there is another local store (and an alternative to the LLFS) I will always choose to support both LLFS and the new local orvis shop over cabelas, bass pro etc. However they are still figuring things out - I'm not ready to make a judgement. They have work to do and they know it. SO i wish them the best of luck and will come back in a couple months to see what has changed.

I still say give the business to who treats you right. Not sure if everyone knows this but if you are a member of TU, Orvis gives you 15% off your purchase.

I stopped in for the 3rd time since they opened. There selection has grown and they no longer offer ONLY orvis material but a slightly cheaper version. I was only looking for a few pieces and when the helper was ringing them up he found Ginks and mylar wrap were not priced in the computer. He asked the owner how to charge me for these and the owner was busy with another customer and replied "Just give them to him." They did recognize me from my previous visits. After he was done with the other customer I made a point to thank him very much for his kindness. I'll def return when I need more materials!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good to hear LL. I hope things keep improving. Now if I could onlyl find some money to spend....

I hope they make a good run at it, but darned if this isnt a tough time for a new business let alone a fly fishing type shop. We have an Orvis shop at our club and even with a member discount I can still run to Cabelas and buy more for less. I will take a run out to the Hamilton street store just to see what they have in stock and what the prices look like.

Just Fish,
West Valley Creek is walking distance from the Downingtown Orvis...terrific limestoner w/wild fish. A short drive away is the Brandywine Creek, East Branch...also holds some wild fish. Both get some stocking. Valley Forge Trout Unlimited & West Chester Fish & Game Club look after West Valley & do a fabulous job of protecting it. Check 'em out.

gfen wrote:
I stopped in there one day a week or so just to window shop. The owner/operator, Phil, was in and we spent a good hour just chatting about things in general.

He's a nice enough guy, he promises that his tying section isn't complete, and it seems like its a pretty nice shop with a heavy emphasis on the clothing and accoutrement's one might need to have "a sporting lifestyle." Whatever, $100 dog beds and casmere sweaters may not be on my list of desires, but if selling those is what pays the bills so he can have a little corner well stocked with fur and feathers, who am I to complain?

The one thing I took away from my talk with the owner is that this isn't a money making enterprise for him as much as its a hobby and a past time. There's not much else around me, really, for stores, an LL Bean with barely any tying supplies and the LL Fly Shop where my short discussion with the owner left me with little desire to patronize his store.

I stopped in one day after fishing the LL. It was a cold day so I had on my old coveralls, beat up boots, and tattered hat. There was only one other shopper in the store. I kind of got the cold shoulder when I went over to the fly fishing section. I certainly got the impression they wanted to sell the high margin clothing and not fly tying materials. Didn't seem very well stocked with materials. I don't see a reason to go back. What we need is an old fashion shop which is interested in fishermen not old yuppies.

Back