Need Euro Nympher Mentor

Since I don't frequent this sight much I just came upon this thread today.

WB, I've been fishing this style of nymphing since the mid-70's and for most of that time I used a 9' rod since for many years the longer rods appropriate to this type of fishing weren't readily available here.

As for the leaders, when I wrote an article for Fly Fisherman magazine back in the day the term "sighter" wasn't used, as well. Since my leader used colored material I came up with the label "vari-colored leader." Of course, back then we didn't have the term "suspension nymphing" to refer to fishing with an attached strike indicator, either. How times have changed.

I agree with whomever stated they don't like to call it Euro nymphing. I didn't know anything about the Europeans fishing this way back when I was exposed to it here in PA many years ago. Besides, there has been some much "hybridization" of these styles here in the U.S. it is far more accurate to refer to it as short line nymphing, contact nymphing, or whatever.

There are any number of folks competent to teach this style of nymphing and I would certainly agree that this would be the best way of learning; however, there's so much material - written, video, etc.- available, too. Only problem with these is you can't get answers to your questions on the spot.

There are many misconceptions among anglers about this style of nymphing. I always encourage someone to give some serious thought to analyzing what really goes on with this style of nymphing as well as indicator fishing.

Back