My goal this summer

Fredrick

Fredrick

Is to catch one of these bad boys this summer in the skuke on a fly. So far i think my best bet is fishing a Ep style fly all black right at dusk casting down stream right next to the drop off from shallow to deep water with a slow retrieve up stream . The rule of thumb with flaties is they realy only eat live fish so I think a fly might do the trick.
Perk009.jpg

I have thought about it.

If the river ever comes down this year, I am there. Do you plan to start in spring or summer?

I also am going to target musky.

Good luck, Fred.

Looks like a challenge.

jayL wrote:
I have thought about it.

If the river ever comes down this year, I am there. Do you plan to start in spring or summer?

I also am going to target musky.

I'm thinking late spring as right now Jay

I've caught way more than my share of channel cats and flatheads with a flyrod.
At dusk the cats go shallow and swim just under the surface.
With the decline of smallmouth bass in the Susquehanna, the catfish have picked up and filled the gap. I'm pretty sure that they stock the channel cats in the lower Susky.
A 6wt or 8wt with intermediate line and a weightless black bugger or black zonker leech will catch more fish than live bait!
The cats have saved the day for me....... I can't rely on the bass anymore.
Tight Lines

flatheads like bluegills so i have been told

1wt wrote:
I've caught way more than my share of channel cats and flatheads with a flyrod.
At dusk the cats go shallow and swim just under the surface.
With the decline of smallmouth bass in the Susquehanna, the catfish have picked up and filled the gap. I'm pretty sure that they stock the channel cats in the lower Susky.
A 6wt or 8wt with intermediate line and a weightless black bugger or black zonker leech will catch more fish than live bait!
The cats have saved the day for me....... I can't rely on the bass anymore.
Tight Lines

When I was fishing Columbia I caught 5 channel catties over 20 but no flatties . Even thought I had one fish snap me off as soon as he hit my fly and I had on 11lb floro on still wondering what it was to this day maybe flattie or musky .

You folks are FISHIN............i know a Clouser minnow in the right colors and all will catch channel cats in the upper susk around Harrisburg and up as far as Sunbury , never caught a musky on a fly yet but i caught an amur pike , they are stocked fish and they have spots like a brown trout , it wasn't a very big one i think it was like 18" , got it on a wooly bugger with some flash in the tail , i was fishin for and catchin smallmouth right at the Clarks Ferry bridge around 1994.

musky's love suckers BIG suckers. You need this to catch a musky. 15" long.

Attachments

• delaware sucker.jpg
    delaware sucker.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 4
my best cat fishing with the fly rod is up from the betzwood launch on the skuke. fish around the first island upstream, then from there up to valley creek there's a lot of shelves and troughs with cats in them. easily wadable at night and walk the trail back to the car. I've also got a few at blackrock dam using a sinking line but haven't fished it since the ladder went in (technically you can't fish that hole anymore). Lastly, got a few small ones at the next two dams up on the perk up from oaks but don't target them there.

Attachments

• cat1.JPG
    cat1.JPG
    563.7 KB · Views: 2
Skilt were they flatties or channels ?

I just picked up my new Loomis that they sent me to replace my old GL3.... itching to get back at it and nothing beats brown lining! :)

Attachments

• 0710091904a.jpg
    0710091904a.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 0710091904.jpg
    0710091904.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG00221.jpg
    IMG00221.jpg
    745.6 KB · Views: 2
If you catch one are you going to kill it Fred? You probably should, the amount of fish those flatheads eat is amazing.

If I catch a real big one I might check the stomach contents to see what they are eating

afishinado wrote:
Fredrick wrote:
If I catch a real big one I might check the stomach contents to see what they are eating

Stomach pump or fillet knife?

Any means necessary ....

Tweed how did that shoveling go ?

I've been told that flatties are good. I would probably avoid eating them from the skuke below Reading, though.

afishinado wrote:
All done Dude.

Good stuff Tom I know your not as young as you used to be :lol:

Back