Muddy Creek Access Points

falsecasts

falsecasts

Hello!

Does anyone know of any access points for the lower end of Muddy Creek, particularly below the stocked water? Looking to get into SMB, WW species for the warmer months, and perhaps some trout. I was considering parking at Woodbine and walking down from there, but am not sure how far down access is permitted on the railroad bed (don't want to trespass).

I also know that the Mason Dixon trail parallels the lower end of the creek down to the Susky, but I noticed parking is not allowed at the Paper Mill Road bridge. Lots of hikers on AllTrails recounting stories of cars getting towed 😬

Any info appreciated!

Maybe 25 years ago I helped stock Muddy Creek to learn access points. That day , A pick up truck hauled fish down the trail from Woodbine. Used to be a chainsaw shop at Woodbine and the trail was behind it. Was going to fish down there maybe two years ago but there were quite a few.trucks before me.
Apologies for not being able to help more.

I would definitely concur with your decision to avoid the Paper Mill Road bridge "parking" area. I've read similar to what you did on Alltrails and I took a spin through there a few years ago, to see if there was any reasonable place to park. The area around the Paper Mill Road bridge was full of cars (and no parking signs). I went up the road, turned around and as I was coming back down, cops were there, disbanding the crowd and presumably having vehicles towed if owners weren't present to remove them. The only reasonable access there would be to walk in the MDT from near the mouth and Cold Cabin Park. On my todo list, but haven't done it yet.

I have substantial doubts that you will find many, if any, SMB there.

welp, only one way to find out I guess! Area looks beautiful at least…

I would agree. I've fished there a few times... (way down below)

As for parking at Papermill Road. Be careful. There's probably one, maybe two spots that are right next to the bridge where you could park, but the rest is very clearly posted / painted purple. Last time I was there, people were parking wherever and the general consensus is that sometimes it's okay and sometimes it's not...

With limited cell service in that area, I'd be wary.

I can understand the no parking signs. I once carried a full trash bag out, including dirty diapers and beer cans. The big pool is a favorite swimming hole of the locals.
If Lancaster Conservancy was looking for a new project that would have to be at the top of any list.

Lower Muddy is beautiful fishing scenery, but fish are far from plentiful. Occasional bruiser. Some of the upper tribs, however are biologically very productive. Much of that territory is posted and most of the rest is like fishing in a briar patch.

Back