Most versatile rod

I have several rods in the arsenal, but my 8'6" 4wt sees more action than the rest combined. I use it for bluegill, trout, smallmouth, and anything else that I come across. With the proper hand-tied 3X leader, I can cast a lead eye Clouser Minnow a far distance with it, although most of my Clousers have bead chain eyes. Tossing a heavy nymph rig is easier with a stiffer 9' 5wt, so that rod sees action as well. I'm not small and weak, but do prefer to use the shortest and lightest rod possible. The 8'6" 4wt does that for me.

I pretty much always fish w/ a 8' 5 weight. Trout and bass, this is my go to rod. I don't think I've EVER thought, "Man I wish I had a 9' rod!" That's just me though. I love fishing w/ big rods; I always relish the opportunity to use my 8 weight,carping and whathaveyou. Still, 9 times out of 10, I'm going for my 8'5"

I'm with you. I fish an 8' 5 weight most of the time, and have never wished I had a longer rod. I can really reach out with it. It's a fast bamboo rod, so I can really punch big flies with it.

Wulff wrote:
It's a fast bamboo rod

is that like like a jumbo shrimp? or committee decision?

For PA fishing.... 9' 5wt. If you're taliking anywhere else, I'd jump it up to a 6wt.

Like I said, I rarely use either of my 9 foot rods, but when I do it's usually the 4 weight. However when fishing for salmon in ME I do break out the9foot 6 weight rod, those salmon are powerful fish and they love to jump. You really need the extra umph you get with a good stiff rod.

Are you implying that all bamboo rods are fast?

To speak for Trowpa, he's implying that "fast bamboo" seems to be an oxymoron. It's the exact opposite of saying that they are all fast.

Personally, I've never encountered a bamboo rod that I felt was fast. They may be fast with respect to other boo, but by today's standard, it's pretty unlikely that one would gain wide recognition as a fast rod.

Rod in your hand

The Sasquatch wrote:

I don't think I've EVER thought, "Man I wish I had a 9' rod!"

Lier...

THEN The Sasquatch wrote:

"I love big rods"

I bet you do...

just bustin your balls A-man. we need to get out soon.

as far as going to 6wt from 5wt...I have done well with 5wt on steelies. thats just me, I would say if you wanted to get into it you could bring in other factors like action and such but the OP just asked for length and weight. I would say you would want a rod that bends well from the middle to tip if you want all around. (plus my casting is changing and a rod like that accommodates me better now as opposed to when I first start when I really liked fast, stiff action rods.)

Well, I think long rods are a pain in the woods, but you can use shorter rods on bigger creeks. I guess if I had only one rod, it'd be a 7.5' for a 5-weight. When I was young and couldn't stock up on rods, I managed to fish using two rods, both for 6-weight lines. One was an 8.5" Fenwick HMG for bigger waters and a 7' Fenwick glass rod for smaller creeks. When I finally figured out how to stash "mad money" -- and my wife went back to work and we got our house paid off, I expanded my rod collection, though not to the extent that many on here have. But, if you are only going to be able to have one rod, I recommend just what I said earlier.

Back