More poaching

The reason private land (open to the public) creates problems is two sided. On one hand there are way too many people that are disrespectful of others property and it only takes a few bad encounters to ruin access for everyone else. On the other hand, too many people have an ignorant sense of entitlement. For example when landowners change some people think that they deserve to still have access to the land because they've been fishing/hunting there since they were kids. Additionally, some landowners think that they are the almighty authority with regard to the parcel they inhabit. Sure, I think that landowners can choose how they want their land to be used, but anyone that views land as a possession rather than resource needs to rethink his values. My grandfather is one of those landowners that will run someone off his farm with a shotgun. He is certainly not alone with that type of mentality. Each person only has so much time on this Earth, and I think its a shame that some landowners waste their time because they don't have their priorities straight. Access to private fishing land is very admirable, and I greatly appreciate all the landowners that allow public fishing. Unfortunately, our society is such that someone, either fisherman or landowner, is going to ruin it for everyone eventually. Unless our society redefines our mentality of landownership as a right (which will never happen), we will continue to progress towards the demise of outdoor recreation such that only the very rich will be able to truly enjoy the outdoors. IMO, landownership should be considered a privilege. Landownership is an opportunity to use a resource in a way that inspires others to become better stewards of our world. It is a privilege to leave our own personal influence on the future societal values toward land management. Landownership is only a "right" because we are stupid enough to believe it is. Everything is a privilege, and we would be better off if a few more people would remember that.

crs5942 wrote:
The reason private land (open to the public) creates problems is two sided. On one hand there are way too many people that are disrespectful of others property and it only takes a few bad encounters to ruin access for everyone else. On the other hand, too many people have an ignorant sense of entitlement. For example when landowners change some people think that they deserve to still have access to the land because they've been fishing/hunting there since they were kids.

those are good points, adn I've seen some of them personally. But like I said, this is not caused by private land ownership (or his greed). They are caused by the greed of the trespasser.

Additionally...

The part after Additionally is where we disagree 180. There aint no "additionally" about it. I don't care if the land owner thinks it is a possession or a resource (your words). somebody always has to play the resource card. It is both. Land is a resource, but ownership means possession. Attidudes like yours are the problem. Landownership is a right in this country. Plain and simple. Peaceful enjoyment of that land is also a right gauranteed by the Constitution. It has been there from day 1. changing that would require an ammendment to change the constitution. There is no way in hell those will be changed to priveleges short of a successful Communist revolution. That aint happening. Even if we change gradually, that aint happening. Access to that land by anyone other than the landowner is a privelege granted by the landowner. If more people understood the constitution, we wouldn't be having these problems.

The way I see it, the only "entitlement" issue here is that too many people feel entitled to the enjoyment of other peoples property. Correct that, and more landowners might be more reasonable. That land is my home. How would you feel if I dropped by and had a cookout in your back yard. So what if your's is smaller!!! ;-) Better still, how would you feel if I walked right into your house and watched the next NASCAR race on your TV and only brought enough beer for myself.

Private land ownership is NOT the problem.

Why the heck is it so difficult for some people to ask permission and be respectful? Swallow your pride and ask if you want to access someone elses land. If I catch you hunting or fishing on my property without permission, I will at least calmly confront you. with my size i don't have to yell to get your attention. I will boot you off, depending on how you respond. You already disrespected me once, if you do it again, your getting your *** tossed either off the property, or into the back of a squad car (your choice). If you are somewhat respectful, I may let you continue. However, I will set some rules. You were breaking the law. Why should I respect that if you don't respect me?

Side note: If my wife catches you, your gone. I will feel compelled to toss you. She isn't as reasonable as me.

If you stop by and asks first, I may or may not give permission (depends on circumstance). That is mine and my wife's decision alone. And if I do grant permission (and i have), there will be rules.

I'm a reasonable guy. Most landowners are if you respect them. Just a couple years ago i caught a OhioDNR officer and Mossy Oak setting up to film a goose hunt on my property (without permission) at )-dark-thirty in the morning. I mean, I looked down in my field and there were at least three sets of headlights driving around a freshly cut oat field and huge spotlights being set up. I drove down there on my RUV and calmly said "what's going on. It turned out to be an honest mistake and the ODNR guy was respectful, so I let them continue. They had permission, but from my neighbor and were on the wrong side of the line by a few hundred yards. Right after I said it was OK to the ODNR guy, one of the guys from Mossy Oak walked up and said to me "Who the hell are you?" I had some fun with that. Made him squirm a little, but i already knew the story. It was kinda funny. Guess you had to be there. To make a long story short, I had breakfast with a show from my deck. That reminds me, the guy from Mossy Oak still owes me a copy of the film. Nice guy.

P.S. the use of the word "you" is just for effect, and is not directed at anyone in particular, but is directed at everyone in general.

Landownership is a right in this country.

my rights are violated! I dont own any land.......who do I sue ;-) im jk btw :p

Oh great, another freakin english teacher wannabee... :lol: ;-)

Wow, all this time and I didn't know you were jk.

I had the RIGHT to remain silent-- but, I didn't have the ABILITY.

-- Ron White

Only took you six minutes :p

figured i better announce it. People take everything said on this site so literally.

Its not that i didnt have the ability...i just didnt want too. Hey wait that might be in the bill of rights...somewhere around number 1 ;-)

Back