More on leaders

I

Irv

Following on the earlier post on leaders - what's your take on furled and braided leaders? Do they perform as well as knotted and tapered leaders in terms of the quality of presentation?

When I was googling leader info I saw a few write ups on these, and the only take I got from it was they are a lot softer, and one pic showed actual braided fishing line, and from my experience the braided stuff is way stronger and softer. So I can see how there is no memory. But my take on that is seems like it would be "jerkier" in the air and a lot harder to roll cast.

Just my take on it from the little I have read on it, I could be completely wrong. And I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread for other opinions. Thanks for the post. Now we will have both sides to choose from!

Bought a braided leader in my early stages of fly fishing. Used it for awhile. Meh. Didn't feel there was anything to be gained from using it. I think I still have it in my leader wallet but it is probably dry rotted.

I have used a furled leader from Cutthroat Leaders most of the season. I purchased it with the tippet ring built in. I like the way it performs for both dry fly and nymph fishing. I have no trouble roll casting with it either..........

Back