MI record muskie

Cool. I think the 'toon is better for floating streams and rivers too, right? In MT this summer, it looked like guys were nymphing out of them like drift boats. Did you ever try that?

I used it just like a drift boat on the Upper D. It is much better for floating streams. Having two paddles makes a huge difference when you are trying to slow your drift down by paddling upstream where as a kayak you can only ever have one side of the oar in the water at a time and you end up getting all spun around or over exerting yourself.

Coweneskie (sp) lake here is rated a really good muskie lake with a record waiting in there. plus theres camping. and lots of smallies on the rivers there (coweneski, tioga, and chemung) all have musky , striper, bass.

Sandfly,

How is the wade fishing in those rivers?

Fredrick wrote:
Good stuff .
I own a switchrod 6/7 beulah I used for salt a couple of times this year and loved it. Used it on the lower susky once and did realy well on the channel cats.

How's that work out for you? I want one, but I can't really come up with a compelling reason to buy other than I don't have it.

You think a 6/7 is too light to do both salt and river bass, or are you happy with what you picked?

I throw a 350 grain Rio Outbound on mine and throw heavy saltwater clousers 60 plus feet with one back cast , If anything its a little to heavy for river bass , But I love it makes casting big flies so much easier less back casts with farther distances and less arm fatigue. :-D

So, you're doing double-handed casts and using it like a shooting head, right? Roll cast out, then pick up and do a single overhead?

I'm really interested in trying it out, even though (as I said), I don't have a steady and justifiable excuse to buy one. I've done some reading on the low end of things, Cabela's LST, the to-be-released St. Croix and TFO.

Here is a link to the switch rod I bought at summerset last year . The tfo deer creek switch is already out . It was between the TFO and the Beulah rods and I choose the Beulah after casting it at the casting pool, to me its a better rod all around plus it came with a free switch rod line .
http://www.beulahflyrods.com/products/switchrods/index.php

I'll admit, I'm just not a fan of TFO rods, and there's something about Cabela's branded equipment that bugs the part of me that I deny is an equipment snob.

Coz otherwise, assuming its not junk, its hard to argue with a $200 10.5' LST.

Like I said, weighing my options and definatly trying out some stuff at Somerset.

Gfen,

My switch rod is a cabelas brand. It's an 11' 6wt. Feel free to cast it next time we meet up. I'll bring it.

I will let you try mine also only if you take to a spot on the D or Lehigh rivers to cast it :-D

Rivers are all wadeble, thats how I fish them.

10'8" custom switch rod made for $250.00. Built on a Batson blank. We'll even add your name for free. 5/6/7/8 wts. Give me a call for details...

Picking up my switch rod on Monday :-D Im gonna try and get a little casting practice in and I figured what better way than to hit up some musky water. From what I read musky tend to stay active throughout the winter in rivers and moving water. Im gonna watch the flows and maybe try out the lehigh river around where some of the spring creeks flow into it and there will be temperature differences. Let you all know how I make out but like I said, it will be more about casting practice for when I make it up to the salmon river.

So what did you pick?

And, FWIW, I've definatly added a custom from you to the list of possibilities, Sandfly.

Picking up a Helios 8wt switch. I have been building up orvis and visa gift cards for the past two Christmas season. Up til Dec 28th they were offering a free battenkill large arbor big game reel, that along with backing and beulah elixir switch line, I got the whole package for under $500 thanks to my family.

Back