mark it zero.

gfen

gfen

rb nymph. because i've been reading the classics.

5429544905_1d9f6cb976_z.jpg

league game, dude.

I like your bedazzler. Is that the pattern you posted when you had a diatribe one LaRiSA's thread?

If so, I tied a few and will post them when I get home.

I'm staying, finishing my coffee.

wsender wrote:
I like your bedazzler. Is that the pattern you posted when you had a diatribe one LaRiSA's thread?

If so, I tied a few and will post them when I get home.

I'm staying, finishing my coffee.

Y'know, I guess it is. I never really thought about it.

RB Caddis (I said nymph, wrong pattern) used white chenille. I used white arctic fox scraps and dubbed. The one I usually use is green dubbing, but any colour works.

Instead of a wire rib, there's a dubbing loop with some more scraps blended and stuffed in there. Anything wispy will do.

I thinkt hat would be even nicer if the dubbing was on a bright green thread base, and not black.

I don't understand how the reference ties in. What am I missing?

This is a classic RB Caddis; not sure what the zero means either jayl !!!

Attachments

• RB Caddis.JPG
    RB Caddis.JPG
    4.1 KB · Views: 3
jayL wrote:
I don't understand how the reference ties in. What am I missing?

You weren't watching it on the TV with me while posting, mostly.

Not saying I want you to, I mean you can if you want, but that doesn't mean we're dating, dig?

Just wait til you see the latest jacket I've been working on. I will possess your heart.

I'd venture a guess that somewhere near 1 in 12 men are stalked too. It's not hard in the facebook age.

And are we still calling it "stalking" when people are retarded enough to publish their entire life story in a searchable catalog?

jayL wrote:
I will possess your heart.

narrow_stairs.jpg

Good album. Not their greatest, but it has some memorable tunes on it.

+1 for Grapvine and Cath...

wsender wrote:
Good album. Not their greatest, but it has some memorable tunes on it.

Well, well, well... Who's the hipster now?

I am pretty sure they are way too popular to qualify. But meh.

It was a decent album.

jayL wrote:
I am pretty sure they are way too popular to qualify. But meh.

It was a decent album.
Black-pot.jpg

Yeah, you are. I think. Whatever it is you're talking about.

You must be high.

sandfly wrote:
This is a classic RB Caddis; not sure what the zero means either jayl !!!

I was trying to figure out how I was so off, but it came to me a bit ago.

I didn't consult Trout when I tied that, I actually pulled it from Lee Wulff on Flies, a 1980 stackpole book.

Allow me to liberally quote:
At that time Bergman worked at...tackle store. Walter Grotz tied a caddis worm imitation by wrapping white chenile on the shank of a #12 hook and added a few turns of herl at the head. Ray promised to try these, and eventually they became in the RB Caddis in Ray's great book, Trout."

Pictured above is a drawing far more approximating my version than your version.

Later in the same book, we find Wulff describing something he calls a "gray nymph," defined as "basically a gray wulff with no hackle," or in more detail...
...my most successful flies was a nymph tied with gray angora woolon a #10 hook with a couple turns of peacock herl at the head and a touch at the tail.

THe accompanyng line drawring is one of a tapered body with a herl thorax/head and what appears to be one or two small pieces of herl at the butt, not unlike the zug bug.

A colour plate later in the book clearly shows a gray bodied fly, not ribbed, with a small thorax. No herl is visible for a tail, but a very, veyr short tuft of reddish hair is indicated. The caption also calls this a gray nymph.

I haven't dug out my copy of Trout, however, I presume you did making yours a far more faithful reproduction of the Bergman pattern. Gotta query, though, si that listed as RB Caddis, or one of the RB Nymphs?

RB Caddis, original pattern. Remember there are some of us who learned these flies back when they were popular. And some of us (old guys) learned to tie from the old masters.

If you want to learn how to tie a lot of classics you should take a ride to the Catskill fly fishing museum on sat. they have a get together and will tying all the classic flies.

sandfly wrote:
RB Caddis, original pattern. Remember there are some of us who learned these flies back when they were popular. And some of us (old guys) learned to tie from the old masters.

You're referring to which one as the original, the Trout version or the Wulff version?

sandfly wrote:
If you want to learn how to tie a lot of classics you should take a ride to the Catskill fly fishing museum on sat. they have a get together and will tying all the classic flies.

2.5 hours. Kinda haul, not sure if I could justify it with anything else, but maybe sometime this summer.

jeez and you can fish there as well, special regs open. pattern is from trout.

Back