Many Large SMBs in the River near Harrisburg

Dave_W

Dave_W

Staff member
While the Susky around the capital region continues to have issues (see the link today to sewage run-off due to high rains in 2018) the numbers and size structure of smallmouth bass (SMBs) was very good last year in the section between Clemson Island and the Turnpike (basically, Harrisburg).

PFBC surveys reveal a good population (above the long term average). Of particular note, large fish were very common, including 20" fish.

I have often pointed out that genuine 20" river SMBs are rare in PA. Many surveys don't produce any at all. The 2018 survey of this section of the river produced six fish that reached 20 inches. This is out of a total of 366 bass examined.

2018 River Survey

Dave,

That is great news. I wish that I was more familiar with the Susky. I have fished it but don't often. 20" smallies are certainly nice fish in our PA river systems. I have caught quite a few over the years that are 20" or better but I can say one thing, they have all come from the Juniata or Susky. I used to fish the Clarion quite a bit when I lived there for 6 years and the area I fished a 16" bass was a beauty and I got one maybe pushing 18" once. We are truly blessed in the Susky watershed.

My personal experience on the upper Susquehanna and West Branch is that smallie populations are way down.

Is that personal experience from last year or this year?

That chart and file Dave linked appears to show the numbers, along with the size of the fish, are good in the middle reaches of the Susky. A healthy supply of fish and large fish. Sorry that you think the population is down up your bigjohn.

Mike wrote:
Is that personal experience from last year or this year?

This year...also seems to be the case in the local tournaments on the West Branch Susquehanna as well. Even around Sunbury/Selinsgrove its not like it was 4 or 5 years ago. I don't get below there on the river.

SMB fishing on the Susky have been slow so far this year by most accounts.

But, the conditions for fishing like high water, abrupt flucutions in flow and murky or downright dirty water have been happening all year, so far.

I wouldn't judge the results of the SMB fishing and try to estimate the population until the conditions improve.

The one thing that is fairly certain is the spawning success has been down the last two years because of the poor conditions happening during the spawn. But that will effect the adult population in future years and not for this fishing season.

Cross your fingers that first the fishing conditons improve, and second a large and healthy population of smallies are there to be caught.

Back