Maintaining bamboo rods.

Joe, I was wondering if I could get away with Tighbond III. Apparently so. A plus there is it dries dark and would match the existing visible glue joints.

If you had both, which I do, which would you use?

Titebond would be a lot less messy, but what I want is what is best.

Dave,

I have used both for repairs and both are holding up. So Titebond III will work just fine.

Joe E

Dave,

Tests have shown Titebond III to be nearly as strong as epoxy. The only area epoxy has an advantage is in gap filling.

A good clean joint glued with a modern PVA glue is much stronger than the wood being glued.

Great information, thanks.

I'm guessing there will be some gaps, and if so, that will be the deciding factor.

Dave,

You will still need to bind and lghtly sand before the white silk.

Joe. E

JoeE wrote:
Dave,

You will still need to bind and lghtly sand before the white silk.

Joe. E

OK, let me see if I got this right.

1. Glue, and get it in all the nooks and crannies.
2. Bind it with cotton string (per bikerfish). I'm assuming fairly heavy stuff.
3. Once dry, remove the cotton as best I can (will likely need razor blade.
4. Sand lightly, being cautious not to sand into the power fibers.
5. Wrap white silk
6. A couple times in the dip tank (varnish).

I might be off a couple weeks over Christmas (my choice) and will do this to avoid being bored out of my skull.

Dave,
Do Not use a razor blade on the cotton binding string (some do) because you rise the chance on cutting into the rod or edge. The cotton binding string will sand off in a few strokes with 220 grit sand paper just use a sanding block and hold flat use the corners of the sanding block so you can see what you are sanding.

Joe E

You must use skinnier cotton string than I was planning. That's OK, I can steal some thinner cotton thread from the kitchen right after I am done stuffing and sowing up the turkey next week.;-)

Dave,

I'll send you some. Just PM me your mailing address.

Joe E

JoeE wrote:
Dave,

I'll send you some. Just PM me your mailing address.

Joe E

You don't have to do that, but OK. ;-)

Back