Lucky fishing items

Hey Dick,

We used to say the same things back in the 70's driving around Tionesta. My buddies dad used to say the cows are lying down....so the fish may not be biting.

To this day, I always say on the way to the stream when I see the cows down...I say" you know what it means when the cows are lying down don't ya?" Then one of the insuspecting passengers says, "no what does it mean"...."It means they are tired"

Ba dum Pshch

Hey Mo You sound like a pretty cool guy, you fish bamboo to don't you? I can't remember which rod I was using back then it was either an H&I Prince or a South Bend 290. Today guys think bamboo is delicate, heck the that is all there was then so guys heaved a couple of split shot and a worm or minnow around with thier Grangers, didn't hurt them a bit, bamboo is tough stuff. My Uncle belong to the Colerain Club on Spruce, dues were five bucks a year.

need to shoot this in here, anyone use propane gas, my tank needs filled, anyone know the current price? Thanks

Well Dick, I was a teenager in the 70's and was gut hooking 5-3/4" brookies with red worms. Then we'd break their backs and stretch them to 6". If you could make a 5.5" brookie measure 6" you were the better angler.

I don't fish bamboo.... but I am pretty cool....just ask me. :lol:

I do however own a Bamboo HI princess, restored, I broke the tip (only one tip) on the first fish I caught with it. I guess when drying out the set before restoration, I ruined the glue bond. I have yet to get it fixed.

I need a tip section for a 7' HI princess if ya have one lying around.

One observation about the rod I made is that the butt section is very stiff and the tip is a noodle. Maybe getting a stiffer tip section for the recond. wold make it more fishable?

Quite a few of you have lucky hats. Just wondering how long you get them to last. I wear ball cap style hats, and can only seem to keep them for a few years at the most, before they start to fall apart.

I do have one little ritual that I've been doing ever since I started flyfishing. I never get out my hemostats until I catch the first fish - then I hang them on my vest by the jaws, so that they're ready to go. I started doing this long ago, so that I don't jinx myself I guess - and it just became habit

dryflyguy wrote:
Quite a few of you have lucky hats. Just wondering how long you get them to last.

Mine is an Australian style outback hat made out of brown suede-leather, some sort of metal wire rims the brim to keep it in shape. They're similar to a cowboy hat, but with a shorter brim and smaller, less vertical dome, making it less gaudy IMO. Its a different brand and slightly darker brown, but very similar to this:

http://www.ozstralia.com/Australian_Hats/BC_Hats/Stockman_Suede.html

I treated it with spray on leather waterproofing, available at most shoe stores. I retreat it every 2 years or so, it becomes completely waterproof and beads water like Rain-X on a windshield. I've had this hat now for around 6 years of heavy use (its my hunting hat too, I just wrap an orange wrap around it). It shows no signs of seam rips or anything, just needs the occasional shot of waterproofing....

When its cold out, I just wear a fleece headband underneath to cover my ears.

No superstitions or lucky charms.I just don't get rid of stuff,files that are shot ,that's about it.I still have the first fly rod I ever owned,bought in the 40's.Along with the original reel.The line was an old enamel coated thing, level ,that was used to bait fish and fly fish,with loads of grease to make it float.The only rod I'm missing is a Gep steel rod that I left with a friend to have re wrapped.I can tell you what technology has done with fly fishing just by pulling out the old stuff.No, I don't have any old waders near drowned a few times in those things.

I always wear the same hat, too. It's not really for "good luck." I've got skunked many times wearing it. It's more of a "good friend."

I do remember one of the old fishing sages in the neighborhood where I grew up was Old Man Eckinrod. He was very superstitious. He was a tobacco chewing, unkept sort who was unbelievably deadly at catching fish by tossing worms and eggs with a fiberglass fly rod and spinning reel. I remember every time he rebaited, he'd always spit on it with Red Man. He also wore a red flannel shirt that stunk to high heaven. He rarely washed it because he thought washing it was bad for the fishing. So you always had to stay upwind of him. But he was great guy. And an amazing fisherman. Always took the time to take some of us neighborhood imps fishing at Buffalo Creek in Butler County. He taught me a lot about fishing.

Back