loop to loop butt for 5 wt

KeithS

KeithS

I tried some heavy mono from an unused saltwater rig to install a loop on my 5DTF line. It was what I had available. It seems to be too heavy, all of my casts are slapping the water.
Can someone suggest the correct weight mono to use for a the permanent loop on a 5 wt line?

The easiest thing I do is make a loop out of the end of my fly line or nail knot the leader directly to the end of the fly line. loop to loop connections were invented for people who can't tie knots! Make a loop by shaving doubling over your fly line and and fasten it down with one or two nail knots ties with 12-15# mono. I then coat the mono with pilo bond. Another thing you can do is put a small swivel in your loop your just created so you can tie leaders directly do it. I like the black bird small steelhead swivels.

Or you can use 20# mono.

I usually did the whipped loop on end of the fly line, but none the less above's the answer you sought.

Thank you both. I had nailknotted a section of probably 30 or 40 lb mono to the flyline. It was all I had.

i used Orvis Super Strong Tippet #40 .019 diameter, worked well with no issues

Sunset Amnesia is really stiff and will work for a loop. I think the 20# is what I've used. My first preference is to nail knot the leader butt directly to the fly line though.

CatchingChrome wrote:
. loop to loop connections were invented for people who can't tie knots!.

And swivels are for spin fishermen.

OP:
Buy a new leader, and nail knot it to the end of your fly line. If you don't know how, you should learn. When your leader's toast and you're ready to swap it out, cut it off about 10-12" from your fly line, and tie a perfection loop at the end. There's your loop connection for future leader swaps.

just add some .018 material ala whitlock no knot system then add a perfection loop to that close to the end fly line. I have been using this sytem for years and no problems. I add a in line strike ind. the same size as my fly line too. There was a post I did showing how to do it, can't find it right now. You'll have no knots on the fly line and it will be sealed and water proofed..

try this explaination;
http://troutlegend.com/forum/gear-talk/no-knot-fly-line-to-leader-connection-%28per-cognard%29/msg18458/#msg18458

I would add some goop or sof-tex to the end to make sure its water prrof and sealed.

Sandfly- Thanks for that. I don't know why, but I really get annoyed by the knot going through my guides. I fish streamers most of the time and shorter leaders and have been using the little finger trap style loops. They never failed on me and imo are way better than a nail-knot, but this seems like it would be even better. Very cool. The guy did a great job explaining how to do it, too.

I do it some what different than he does. I use it up to my 7 weight then use a needle nail knot for large game or braided mono loops wrapped and sealed. Can take some really big fish with them if done right.

Dear Keith,

Listen to what Shebop told you about starting with a new leader, that is the easiest way. You can use a Uni-Knot in place of the nail knot when you attach the new leader to your line if you aren't comfortable with the nail knot.

Saltwater leader material varies way too much to use for anything other than surf or flounder rigs unless you spend the money to buy premium leader material for rigging.

If you simply cut a section out of an old fluke or top and bottom rig thinking you were using 30 or 40# test material you might have been, but it was probably 130 pound test diameter.

Those rigs are made to beat up against rocks, wrecks, and other assorted junk at the bottom of the ocean as well as come into contact with fish of much greater dentiture than your average freshwater fish.

They aren't made for fly fishing in any water.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Thanks to all.
As I said, all I had was that rig. I picked up a new leader and nail knotted the butt section of an old leader to my lline. My nail knots suck, but they work. I then put a Perfection Loop on the installed butt section and put the other leader on there. We'll see how it works in an hour.

Back