loon fly rod

bowmandjk

bowmandjk

i had ordered a 4 pc fly rod and reel case from loon that was on sale for 12.95 they e-mailed me that they sold out but would send me a 9' 7/8 4 pc fly rod instead i was wondering if any one had ever used their rods i guess i could always use it as a spare

wow. i've never used one of their rods but if you're telling me you just paid 12.95 for a brand new fly rod of any kind i'd say you got a killer deal. like you said it could always be used as a backup.

Most of their rods and reels are sold out, but check out their website. $300 rods and reels going for $50 or less! Their other gear is very reasonable too...

I talked to a Loon rep or former rep while I was doing a casting demo for LL Bean at the jersey store. I liked them a lot. Very nice. I think they had the composite cork handles then as well.
I do believe they are made in Asia. I think about ALL the European rods are made in Asia. Grey's, Loop, prolly Hardy as well. Top to bottom. So there cannot be any proprietary technology in what they do. It's stolen and sold or used somewhere else as soon as its implemented.
That all being said, the Asian rods are really quite good now. My Redington CPS is a great, light, 4 pc FAST action 6 wt. that I will happily fish for years against anything out there.
I guess the point it; an asian fly rod is almost a commodity. Take whichever blank, wrap it with a different handle and logo and that's the rod you have. Use what feels good to you. No reason to think Loop would be worse than anything, or, unfortunately, any better either.

Back