Looking into the ball

Acristickid

Acristickid

Gazing into the weather crystal ball this morning it appears as if the second half of next week might allow some decent fishing with temps into the 40's. Alas, the weather gods are a fickle lot.

Peering at the usgs flow charts the streams and rivers are on the high side but hopefully the will receed enought to take on any additional precipitation or runoff.

What are your thoughts on this? How do you feel about fishing at this time? What is the state of fishing? Good luck to us all!

State College longterm forecast:

Wed
Feb 25
Mostly Cloudy
41°
33°

Thu
Feb 26
Showers 40%
43°
29°

Fri
Feb 27
Rain / Snow 60%
40°
23°

Sat
Feb 28
Mostly Cloudy
38°
27°

Sun
Mar 1
Snow Shower 40%
38°
26°

Attachments

• weatherball.jpg
    weatherball.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 5
I already was thinking of taking off next Wednesday for a day somewhere, possibly erie. I was down Penn State two weekends ago and fishing was slow for me, but others on the site seemed to do alright. With temps in the 40's there is a chance at fish coming up to midges, but nymphing should produce plenty of fish oppurtunities. I used to hit a really nice BWO hatch on Yellow Creek in late February when I lived down there. It was usually before the March stocking so the crowds were not bad.

I'm going to new hampshire next weekend, so I'll be cold no matter what.

Good luck to those that get out!

I'm hoping to get to yellow creek next week
But I'd like to see it get a little warmer than what is predicted

Getting a crew to head to Erie on the 28th. Weather report shows 10% chance of rain and temp of 36 for that day... but we all know how reliable that is.

Anyone who wants to join me is more than welcome. Getting a few fish to bring home for my church's game dinner.

The last five trips I made out to my daughter's college campus at IUP there was snow or freeezing rain. We are going out again late next week. I go right through State College. Just giving you fair warning!

Ok, I have been warned. Have been frustrated lately with the weather forecasts. Seems some of the forecasts have been a little off and have persuaded to stay home rather than making the 2-3 hour drives. As some of those days had passed I surely could have fished several times. Too cold for me this weekend but hopefully warmer air is on it's way. Always a dicey proposition fishing in February and certainly not worth tempting fate in my book especially with winds and high water.

Paul, how much do you charge for a reading?? Also what do you predict in terms of success for my upcoming year of fishing??

Ill fish any weather, infact i was out this morning, believe it was around 27, with the feel of 19, all i have to say was my tippet became solid after 3 minutes

I am not a gypsy.

Well, I want to be optimistic.

I read in the farmers almanac a few months ago that is was going to be a hot and drier summer than normal. If that's scientific enough for ya.

But based on the fact that many PA locations are well below average amount of precipitation is concerning...

Precipitation normal mtd vs actual

State College 2.62 1.40

Spruce Creek 2.23 1.40

Slate Run 2.43 .74

Back