Look for my first setup

afishinado wrote:
This looks like a great 1st fly outfit from the "Swap Forum":

Swap Forum

Ah yeah....good find Tom. Go back to page one and catch up.

The first question you need to answer is what do you want to fly fish for?

If you are primarily interested in fishing for trout a good all around rod for 95% of the trout streams in PA is a medium or medium-fast action 8.5 or 9 foot 5 weight rod. This rod can also serve as a light duty bass rod.

If you are primarily interested in fishing for bass with occasional trout fishing, a good all around rod is a medium fast or fast action 9 foot 6 weight rod. If strictly for bass go 7 weight.

As for brands of rods - buyer beware. There are well-designed $75 rods and poorly designed $250 rods. One brand that you cannot go wrong with is Temple Fork. For the price they make a very nice and fishable rod.

Their entry-level rod is the Lefty Kreh Signature Series ($99.95). After that there is the Professional Series ($149.95) and then the Finesse Series ($179.95). The Professional series is a medium-fast action rod and the Finesse series has more of a traditional medium action.

My personal suggestion would be to check out the PA fly shop link on this site and go to one of the fly shops listed. As previously said, there are good and bad rods and price is not an indicator of how good a rod truly is. Someone knowledgeable will be able to point you in the right direction for your budget and type of fishing you plan on doing. Assuming you are interested in trout fishing on typical PA streams, you don’t want to buy a rod that excels at casting 60+ feet of line because most of your fishing is going to be done in the 15- 40 foot range. Get a rod that is designed to excel within the range you intend to use it. This is the single biggest mistake most people make - buying a rod that that isn’t designed for the type of fishing they are using it.

Also, I would suggest taking a few casting lessons to learn the basics. While there are books and videos out there, nothing will help you faster than 1 or 2 casting lessons. You may think your doing what the book or video says but someone watching you will quickly be able to correct your mistakes.

As for reels, for 95% of PA trout fishing a reel serves no other purpose than to hold the line; however, this does not mean to get the cheapest piece of junk out there.

The most important factor when purchasing a reel is to get a reel that balances the rod you purchased. Some reels can be too light and others can be too heavy and what balances one rod might not balance another rod. A more expensive reel might not be the best reel for the rod you bought just as a cheap one might not be either.

As for reel brands, the Temple Fork Cartridge series reel goes for $49.95. Other good reels are the Ross Flystart ($50-$60 depending on size), Ross Flycast ($75 - $90) and Ross Flyrise ($95 - $110) and the Lamson Konic (about $120.

Too much info and not enough at the same time.

If you don't have a clue as to what you want or what you will be fishing for, don't buy anything.

If you have to buy a rod, I disagree with shorter rods. Stick with a standard 9' rod 5 weight. (Sorry guys but I beg to differ using a shorter rod when learning. ) Redington makes some really nice rods and reels, in fact I still have the reel I learned on and still was using it. Santa gave me a new one and it still performs great. New it was $30. Line is expensive. That is where your $$$ will go. Get yourself some good line without going over board. Do not go with double tapered. Just weight forward line. When and if you buy a package, everyone here is great and can hook you up with anything else you'll need.

wetnet wrote:
Too much info and not enough at the same time.

If you don't have a clue as to what you want or what you will be fishing for, don't buy anything.

If you have to buy a rod, I disagree with shorter rods. Stick with a standard 9' rod 5 weight. (Sorry guys but I beg to differ using a shorter rod when learning. ) Redington makes some really nice rods and reels, in fact I still have the reel I learned on and still was using it. Santa gave me a new one and it still performs great. New it was $30. Line is expensive. That is where your $$$ will go. Get yourself some good line without going over board. Do not go with double tapered. Just weight forward line. When and if you buy a package, everyone here is great and can hook you up with anything else you'll need.

Wetnet what streams do you fish?

I fish a lot of streams near me that can range from 15-20 feet wide with a boat load of brush and overhang. I did my own little experimentation this summer with my 7.5 ft and 8.5 ft. For me the 7.5 ft was a better match for the streams I was fishing. Casting room, overhangs, brush were all factors in my experiment. The 7.5 ft was more efficient. I could get the fly exactly where I wanted it more so than the 8.5 ft. Rod size and weight is about where and what your fishing for. If I were fishing the loyalsock I would use a 9 ft 5 wt. Fishing a stream like Valley Creek which is about a 1/10 the size of the Loyalsock with a boat load of brush and overhangs and SUPER PARANOID wild brownies I am using a 7.5 ft. If you live by big water then a 9 ft 5 wt is a great rod. If you live near small streams that can get very constrictive your gonna have to match the stream size.

Like I said too much and not enough information. He never said what streams he planned to fish. Standard streams for a newbie I'd still suggest a 9' 5wt.

I love the 2nd part though!

I don't fish from a boat, I fish small streams (less than 20 feet across) and I love a long rod. (Boys Behave!!!) I nymph. I'd love a 10' rod. All of the streams I fish are small. I'm just getting into some of the bigger streams and I'll be bugging all of you for help.

Even with all that when someone is just getting started a 9' rod is easier to flip cast and for awhile that's all you need to do to get hooked. Also a 9' rod is easier to learn casting techniques. Sorry unless your a bit more advanced short rods suck! Did I say that? Yes for someone starting out "They Suck!"

Never said I was good but I sure can remember being worse.

I agree with wetnet...8.5 to 9ft rod in a 5wt is gonna be a way better all around rod. If you go small, in addition to it being easier to learn to cast on a longer rod, there are some fish you just can;t even bother with. You can fish for almost anything with a 9ft 5wt. I only had one rod for nearly 10 years and that was it.

I hear ya's........Never said I disagreed with a 9ft 5 wt. Reference my post on page one. I don't know from my own experience if it is easier to learn on a 9 or a shorter rod. I have a couple of friends that grew up fishing shorter rods due to the streams they were fishing and learned on them too. I like my 7.5 but I also picked up casting rather quickly due to having a good teacher.

Don't try to soften me up with the Phillies. My younger non- addictive to fishing is looking to play BB at Penn State as a pitcher in a couple of years. All 6'4" of him. His Mother, who I won't mention has been fierce since he grew so big and so fast to protect him from over zealous coaches. He is more mature now and his arm is still in tact. He'll never go pro but Man he throws a wicked 3/4 side arm and always has. When bases are loaded they call him in. He is the ice man. Like everyone else he justs wants to play ball!

Speaking of that. I have 2 sons that are the best of friends. They don't like the same things.

I hope I did good!

ok, so if your 6'4"son could have only one rod for the rest of his life...would it be a shorty 3wt or a 9ft 5wt...

Both my sons are 6'4", but if you're talking about my fishing boy he has 4 Sage rods, 1 GLoomis, 1 Targus, 2 Fenwick. They are all 9' 4 or 5 wt's with the exception on 2. One is a 8' 1/2 3 wt and they other is a 10' 6wt. He hasn't used the 3wt in a long time and uses the 6 weight on lakes. That should answer the question.

35 years ago I started fly fishing after winning a 6 foot, 5 weight Orvis fiberglass rod at a TU meeting. This was the only rod I ever owned until about 4 years ago when I bought a 9 foot, 5 weight for upper Delaware fishing. The 9 footer immediately became my go to rod on all streams.

I have since added an 8 foot 3 and 4 weight. I still have the 6 footer and a couple time each year I take it out for old times sake but I really have come to like the longer rods so much better. I have found there are very few streams that are so small and tight that I cannot fish them successfully even with my 9 foot rod.

The 2 biggest technical mistakes most people make when they begin fly casting are they drop the tip too far backwards and forwards and they don’t generate enough line speed.

With a smaller rod (say 7.5 foot) your line is starting 1.5 feet closer to the ground/water than with a 9 footer so you really need to keep the rod tip between 10 and 2 o’clock when casting. Dropping the tip past these points will bring the tip/line closer to the water/ground and then add in the lack of line speed and your line will be slapping the water in front/back of you or getting tangled in the brush in back of you if trying to casting close to banks. At least with the 8.5 or 9 footer the extra 1 to 1.5 feet of rod length can help compensate for less than perfect technique when just beginning.

I addition to teh swap forum (whiich is a great deal) Cabela's has some fantastic deals in the "bargain cave." Like $200 rods for $100.

GreenWeenie hit it perfect. Most beginners have trouble keeping the line high enough. A 9ft rod will help more than a shorter rod. The easiest way to learn is to use a long rod on reasonably big or open streams with dry flies (can see the drag, and fish response to it). You can branch out from that....

Support your local fly shop. Again, screw the big box stores and suport your local fly shop. Thats what they are in business for. To help. Go and talk to someone who can talk to you in person. Tell them you are a novice and just starting out. Explain what type of fishing you want to do. Where most of fishing will be. Tell them you budget and what you would like to spend. They will help you. Cast rods with different actions and lines. Only you will be able to "feel" what you like. And you will know it when it happens. Going to a fly shop doesn't mean that you can't get a sweet deal and setup. Heck, they might even throw in a line for free, help with your casting stroke, free clinics, flies and even put you on some fish with some insider local water knowledge. Don't think you get that from these big box stores. Go and see for yourself. Don't listen to our opinions on setups. Everyone thinks they know what is best because it worked for them. This is a sport where you can find what equipment suits you. Larry, Moe and Curleys gear setup may not be you. Just my 2 cents.

all I know is that this post was made 3 days ago... the original poster has not logged in since, and we have debated 2 pages worth of posts over his new setup. my conclusion...WE ALL NEED TO GET OUT AND FISH!!!

That is my final verdict, and I'm sticking to it.

Here's my .02 from a fly-fishing newbie...

I posed the same question several months ago and received basically the same answer: a 9' 5wt rod would be a good starting setup for the fishing I do (small limestoners, etc.). I picked up an Okuma 9' 5wt rod that has served my purposes well. It casts well and has medium to fast action. There are many places that I've fished that I can use it and in my non-expert, beginning flyfisherman's opinion, the 9' 5wt is an excellent choice for a first setup. Line it with a weight-forward floating line and you're good to go!

I found that with one of the smaller limestone creeks that I fish, the 9' 5wt seemed to be a bit much, so I purchased a 6'3" 3wt. This rod has served me well with the smaller creeks but it doesn't have nearly the action of my 5wt. With a tight canopy or little to no back casting room, the shorter rod seems to be a good option. I would not recommend a rod this short or even a 7' rod to a beginner. In my opinion they just don't allow the user to get the feel of a "loading" a rod.

Here is the thread from a few months back when I inquired.

wetnet wrote:
Don't try to soften me up with the Phillies. My younger non- addictive to fishing is looking to play BB at Penn State as a pitcher in a couple of years. All 6'4" of him. His Mother, who I won't mention has been fierce since he grew so big and so fast to protect him from over zealous coaches. He is more mature now and his arm is still in tact. He'll never go pro but Man he throws a wicked 3/4 side arm and always has. When bases are loaded they call him in. He is the ice man. Like everyone else he justs wants to play ball!

Speaking of that. I have 2 sons that are the best of friends. They don't like the same things.

I hope I did good!

Well wetnet, the Phillies should soften anyone up.....They are the World Champs!!!!!!

Good for you with your 2 boys I wish them the best of luck! I guess anyone getting ready to have children soon would be very lucky to have not just 1 but 2 very talented sons! May the sun be upon their face's and the wind behind their back's and may god hold them in the hollow of his hand.

Cheers! :pint: :pint:

You made me blush!

They will always be #1 in their Mothers eyes. I try to support them without going over the top....which I have at times. I've reined myself in and continue to do so more and more. My baby is in college next year and my oldest has changed his major from Civil Engineering to watershed protection and stream restoration, while at the same time planning how he can save enough money for the Team USA Fly Fishing adult tryouts. I'm always wondering what to do. Always a ride. Always my baby boys.

Back