LLH fly shop

Keeping with the spirit of a Coxey-esque post, here's a little story about one of the fishing trips I shared with Rod.

About a decade ago, Don Douple, Dave Bittner, Rod, and myself went on an all day fishing outing on a Pocono stream. Don was guiding at the time, and had a nice Plymouth Grand Caravan (extra long version) equipped for fly fishing. It had a home made "Rod Loft" style rod rack. Don drove, and the rest of us loaded our gear and piled into the van.

When we got to the stream at first light, we all piled out and geared up. Rod was always the last one done, so Don hit the power lock button on his key remote, and we left Rod with the hatch up to finish gearing up. Don told him to just close the hatch when he was done, and everything would be locked up.

We fished and walked all morning, and returned to the van to grab some lunch. We'd wondered what happened to Rod, as none of us had seen him all morning. There he was, asleep in the grass beside the van. When we woke him, he was really ticked!

Here's what happened......As Rod was getting ready to lock up the van in the early morning half light, he removed his rod from the rack and closed the hatch. Only after it was closed and locked did he notice that the fly attached to his leader had come off the hook holder on his rod, and hooked to the front seat of the van. The entire leader, and a few feet of fly line were inside the van, and the hatch had pinched down firmly on the fly line. He couldn't get it out without ruining the seat material. He couldn't cut off the leader, as it was well inside the van. He didn't want to cut the fly line, so he just laid down alongside the van and went to sleep.

Hearing all this, the rest of us laughed! The more we laughed, the more angry Rod became. It was a LONG ride to our lunch spot, as the three of us bit our lip to keep from laughing. It took him a while to be able to laugh at that one! :lol:

Haha, thats pretty funny, sounds like the kind of luck I have. Reminds me of a trip of mine to the little lehigh. I was to meet littlelehigh (Corey) at the stream, but I was a little early and decided to gear up and go fishing. He had texted be and said he was going to be later than he expected, which was no problem. After fishing a while and not catching a thing, I decided to pack it up and move to a different section of the stream. I had the trunk open and was throwing my stuff in when my wife called. As i was talking (and not maybe attention) I closed my trunk, with my keys inside. Corey eventually got there as I was standing around figuring what the heck I was going to do. The window was cracked a bit and I tried pushing my fly rod through to hit the unlock button to no avail. We looked though all the gear in his car to see what we could get the car unlocked with. He had a bungie cord that was pretty long. I fished it through the window and down to the floor where the trunk release lever was. On the first try I got the hook around the release and pulled hard and the trunk released. We were so happy, it was like man creating fire. We stood there in disbelief that we got the car opened. If it wasnt for Corey showing up, Id have to call a lock smith or something. The fishing sucked that day, but its one of those things I dont think I will soon forget.

The longer I fish, the more its less about the fishing and more about the people I meet and the stories we can share.

I think there is a lesson to be learned from Ed's story about Rod. He may have been a grouch at times, but people still have fond memories of him. Bashing him on a public forum is a bit tasteless. I think we all have had some issues with his service, but he was a steward of that stream, and a lehigh valley institution. He probably did more for that stream than any of us have.

Anyways, seems like his era at the stream is waning, hopefully the shop and stream has found a new representative. I think the stream and area deserves that.

I was at the Little Lehigh Fly Shop and the LL Heritage Water for the first time Sunday 3/20. The operator was packing some stuff up and I spoke to him briefly...seemed no more "surly" or "cantankerous" than other most fly shop operators/staff. The following is somewhat off-topic, but can any of you LL Heritage regulars tell me why there is no wading in the Heritage section?

Having never fished there, and after having read the PFBC posted, I waded out and began fishing. Shortly after, a guy told me there were signs posted saying "no wading", questioned my ability to read, etc. It was then I noticed no one was wading, and I spent the next couple of hours fishing from the bank. As I was walking out, I re-read the posted regs and could find any indication that wading was prohibited. Then as I was leaving, I spoke to a self-described "old regular" who told me that the Heritage section was indeed "no wading" and that the signs are regularly ripped down/blown off. When I asked why the section is "no wading", he looked puzzled and said "I don't know, it's always been that way". This kind of answer has fascinated anthropologists for years, and I was wondering if anyone knows the basis for this practice. I have a few guesses, but I'm interested in hearing some local responses.

It used to be no wading for the longest time, but not anymore. Its just a C&R Fly Fish only. There are only a few heritage sections anymore, I think the idea of no wading was to prevent the disruption of spawning fish. Although you are allowed to wade there now, you will probably get dirty looks from the regulars. Im in the camp of "Its still the heritage section so Im not wading" but im not going to bust someones chops because there following the law. That section has more problems that people wading, like poaching...Just understand alot of people know it as the heritage section and will continue to treat it that way.

Thanks Surveyor! I kind of thought it was due to a concern for spawning fish and their redds. At the same time though, a portion of the Letort is/was a Heritage section, and they (local TU chaper I think) post the best spawning section against wading from about October to sometime in spring. That's a posting I've always adhered to. Tight lines to you this year.

I have it on good authority that anyone who suggests they'll throw clouser minnows at you for wading are simply hypocrites who will be standing knee deep in the kiddie pool.

Back