Little Lehigh - "Heritage Section"

Bamboozle wrote:
Well, if it wasn't Class A before and it is now, has it degraded?

Given the number of hatchery escapees in the stream back in the day, it was hard to assess the wild trout population with a fishin' pole. While the section is, and I assume was always Class A, it cannot be determined, without data, if the population is up or down.

As far as habitat/water quality?...I can tell you that I have fished sections of the LL that are in really bad shape. The Wild Cherry Lane section is so siltated, the bottom of the stream looks like it has been paved over in areas. The same for areas along Spring Creek Road and the section west of Rt 100.

Degraded? Yes, IMO.

I've fished the Lehigh Valley limestoners since the 70's and grew up about 1/2 mile from the mouth of the Bushkill, albeit on the NJ side so I am a foreigner. IMHO, all peaked about the early 2000's and have seen a decline. Of course the Saucon was dead in the 70's and has had a more recent rise and decline

It went in phases. All had lush weedbeds in the 70's. One could run their hands through the weeds and come up with a handful of scuds and cressbugs back in the day. The fish put on weight all winter in this environment. This was before scud hooks and I remember a buddy getting a hold of curved English bait hooks on which we tied simple hare's ear or muskrat dubbed bodies and slayed bigger browns, especially at the old special regs area near Tatamy. Then by the 90's the weedbeds seriously declined and now they are hard to find. The flood/drought yo-yo starting with Hurricane Floyd in 1996 then seemed to add sediment in most places and strip the gravel down to bedrock in other places. It seems like the stream beds are increasingly broadening and composed of sand. A similar thing happened to my local stream, the Upper South Branch of the Raritan. The section still holds a better than expected brown and a variable brookie population. However, the slimy sculpin population has crashed, which concerns the local biologists, but few anglers.

The Heritage Stretch IMHO also suffers from poor stream "improvement" design with the old downstream vee gabions. These eventually cause the stream to widen and add a lot of sediment. Newer techniques mimicking the point bar/ riffle/hole structure of natural streams seem to hold up better IMHO.

Anybody have a good Power Bait or corn pattern?

Power Bait pattern: Glo-Bug, sucker spawn.

Seriously, powerbait is just an egg substitute, really.

As for corn, I can say that in my years of bait fishing for trout, I have never used corn, and never really witnessed any others doing so either. I'm not saying it's not used, but I think the prevalence is vastly overstated by fly guys. Eggs (trout, salmon, single, sacked, or skein), power bait, minnows (live or salted), millworms, wax worms, maggots, crawlers and garden worms. I'd say the above makes up 95+% of baits used on trout.

Crayfish and grasshoppers are used some as well. The former more for bass, and the latter seems to have lost favor in recent years.

Corn is always a go-to at the kiddie trout stocked ponds, they feed them pellets and corn always works well. Corn and bread always worked better then actual worms or eggs.

The good ole days of being 10 years old stealing moms bread and biking out to the pond for a day of rippin lips :D

There was a survey done in 2013 which covered sections of the LL all the way from Rt 100 through the Heritage section. Unfortunately it is not available online. I heard a presentation about the survey recently at a LLTU meeting and was particularly impressed by the presence of wild Browns through the length of the surveyed area including many areas of the river that are rarely if ever fished.

Corn is always a go-to at the kiddie trout stocked ponds, they feed them pellets and corn always works well. Corn and bread always worked better then actual worms or eggs.

Well then, that'd splain my lack of familiarity with corn as bait, as I'm not sure what you mean by "kiddie trout stocked ponds", so I'm obviously unfamiliar with the scene.

Stocked ponds for kids only, find em at sportsmans clubs and the like...

afishinado wrote:

As far as habitat/water quality?...I can tell you that I have fished sections of the LL that are in really bad shape. The Wild Cherry Lane section is so siltated, the bottom of the stream looks like it has been paved over in areas. The same for areas along Spring Creek Road and the section west of Rt 100.

Degraded? Yes, IMO.

I can concur with that assessment for Sections 3-6 but what about Section 8? That section and the rocks/gravel/structure look relatively unchanged to me in the years I have fished it.

The Class A determination for that section had always been clouded by hatchery escapees but the current opinions of that section reminds me of comments I hear regarding the "Ditch" at Big Springs.

Back in the "good old days" when the Ditch was stuffed with hatchery escapees it was also stuffed with anglers who proclaimed it as "great". Once the hatchery closed and the stockers disappeared, you see nary an angler there because it is "not the same", "degraded" yet it has a Class A biomass. The same thing happened with Fisherman's Paradise when stocking ceased...

It appears to me that there is a correlation between catching fish (even if they are interlopers) and the accolades bestowed upon a stream regardless of the wild fish population. ;-)

BTW - Corn flies, wax worm flies and even salmon egg flies haven't lived up to my expectations either.

To me it's very noticeable that silt has affected the middle of section 8.

But all this discussion has motivated me to come up this weekend. And wet a line there again. And stop by Anglers Pro Shop now that it's under new management.

Edit: I'll add that the removal of the dam may have a positive impact in the longer run. Have to see how that change has impacted the stream.

I will be fishing this section on Friday for the first time. I know Trico pattern and Al Rat midges. Any updated tips for landing a couple here and Gertrude Fox section of Monacacy? We will be in Bethlehem for the Saint Bernard Dog Show this week.

Tricos, ants and caddis emergers are about all I throw on those streams this time of year.

Sounds good. Does not look like the water is well suited for rolling nymphs along the bottom.

Are there any maps of the LL showing where the "sections" are? I could not find any.

salmo wrote:
Are there any maps of the LL showing where the "sections" are? I could not find any.

The "County Guide" map on the PFBC site has all the Class A's, Special Regs and Stocked Streams on the map.

Here is a link: County Guide Map

Zoom in on the area and click on the type(s) of streams you are looking to find. You can click on the stream itself and info will pop up including the stream section. HTH.

Yo sal

It's a bit involved, but if you go to the F&B Commish page and look up the stocking info, there are GPS listings for some of the Sections.

Follow up on my trip to Little Lehigh and Monocacy. Little Lehigh was very kind to me. I caught 4 terrific Rainbows ranging from 18 to 20 inches downstream of the heritage Fly Shop.

Monocacy was not quite as full of trout. Caught one there in the Gertrude Fox section. Tons of small deer there. Also found a pair of waders hanging from a tree and a spinning rod and reel underneath them. Looked like they had been there since April. Only thing missing was the skeleton.

Both are very nice waters for trout and I am sure glad to have had a chance to fish them. Little Lehigh definitely merits a return visit. Thanks for the tips.

As Camp witnessed there are a lot of stockers around these days as well. It's not like the aquarium effect by the hatchery with slobs laying around all over but still a lot of stockers hang there too.
It does get a lot of pressure still in the fly area and open regs. This will make the fish picky even stockers. The wild fish will be even more skittish and less cooperative to fisherman.
There were always a lot of wild fish around but I believe this stream always struggled to produce larger fish. I've only fished it since '03 but Don Douple mentioned it in a presentation back at that time. I would think this has to do with pressure, lack of structure, and the 10th street bridge which cuts off the large fish that roam into the Lehigh from getting back up. That said I think it's always had enough fish to be Class A but mostly a lot of small fish.
I do think this year will help bring things back. I've seen fish that would typically be around 8-9 in push toward 10 inches, getting a bit closer to spawning size.
I have also seen a major come back in vegetation in some areas. The covered bring by Ott st being a prime example. It was relatively sandy just last year and now it is heavily grown in.

Back