little lehigh Dec 9th 2012

I know Sbecker would say the Po

No I wouldn't. I would say the Jordan on fresh stockies.

I fished the LL in mid November and landed 12 in about 3 hours.
Three of them were over 16-17 inches and also 2 fat 15 inch Brook Trout.
I also saw a handful of really big Rainbows { 20 + } .
I went back last Sunday and caught 2 fish in 5 hours and saw very few fish and nothing big. Not even in the Kiddie Pool.
Very strange . Possible poached ????
Or it could just be the fish were laying low that day.

Walked the dogs today along the Heritage section and spoke to a fellow who confirmed some fish kill after Sandy.Told me 36 fish were dead in a dried up pool by the rt 78 bridge.Don't know if there were others but I would n't count it out.
Wharfrat,were you fishing in the hatchery?....just kidding.I would n't be surprised if there is poaching at night,the resident CO is never around that section during the day so he probably could care less about it at night.

Poached, probably not, the trout just hunker down when the water temp drops below 40 degrees. Plus the fish do move around a lot in the LL.

The stream buffer that has been allowed to grow in over the last few years will definitley help the runoff/siltation issue. It would be nice to see the aquatic vegetation return. Has there been any attempt to re-introduce the aquatic plants? I assume the silt and pollution kills that off quickly.

I fished the LL about two weeks ago and I noticed a significant drop in fish numbers. I'm from Jersey so I don't fish the stream a lot, maybe once a month or so, but I have fished it for more than 15 years and I have noticed a steady decline in insect activity and numbers of fish. One time I went up to the upper section on Cherry rd. and saw something that really was disturbing. Corn was planted in a field almost up to the stream bank.there was silt in the stream in all of the soft areas downstream.
This can't be good for the health of the stream. I have stayed downstream in the Heritage section lately. I just think that the overdevelopment has had a negative impact on the stream.

Jake41 wrote:
I fished the LL about two weeks ago and I noticed a significant drop in fish numbers.

Doubt it. Welcome to PAFF and the jungle. :cool:

Jake41 wrote:
I fished the LL about two weeks ago and I noticed a significant drop in fish numbers. I'm from Jersey so I don't fish the stream a lot, maybe once a month or so, but I have fished it for more than 15 years and I have noticed a steady decline in insect activity and numbers of fish. One time I went up to the upper section on Cherry rd. and saw something that really was disturbing. Corn was planted in a field almost up to the stream bank.there was silt in the stream in all of the soft areas downstream.
This can't be good for the health of the stream. I have stayed downstream in the Heritage section lately. I just think that the overdevelopment has had a negative impact on the stream.

Agreed, the entire stream has gone downhill no doubt, especially the Cherry Rd section - the bottom looks like it's actually "paved!" There's a small Class A section on the LL that I fished not long ago, when looking for better spots to fish, and most of the stream there was in the same shape as the Cherry Rd section. Sad to see.

Bummer to hear negatives about the Little Lehigh... I have heard people compare it to the states top streams and I just keep my mouth shut.

Back