License Fee Decrease?

Cold wrote:
My problem is I need a trout stamp to fish for WILD trout. How is that pellethead stamp improving WILD trout habitat?

Not sure on your specific area, but most of the wild/native water near me is Class A, WBTE, or no qualifier at all. As such, they're not Approved Trout Waters, and are not subject to the laws requiring a trout stamp.

At least that's how I've always understood it (but I get the stamp anyway, so it's never been something I've had to look into thoroughly).

I always interpreted it as "if the stream has trout in it, whether harvesting or not, you need a stamp to target trout". Target being the key word.

Edit: Tree'd by FarmerDave.

Cold wrote:
My problem is I need a trout stamp to fish for WILD trout. How is that pellethead stamp improving WILD trout habitat?

Not sure on your specific area, but most of the wild/native water near me is Class A, WBTE, or no qualifier at all. As such, they're not Approved Trout Waters, and are not subject to the laws requiring a trout stamp.

At least that's how I've always understood it (but I get the stamp anyway, so it's never been something I've had to look into thoroughly).

That is totally bogus. Whether wild trout, stocked trout, or whatever all trout are governed by the same laws in PA except for in Special Regs areas and a trout stamp is required to fish for any and all trout unless on a private body of water (such as a stocked pond on my own land that I may have put trout into.)

And we really do not know what the money is spent on and how much is allocated to what. A good portion of money from trout stamps may be used for habitat restoration/wild trout. And of course no matter what I am sure that it will always be a losing endeavor and the PFBC will always need an ample of amount of money given to them by the government above and beyond what they raise themselves. It is a losing, nonprofitable organization that runs on debt like the rest of the entire U.S. currently does.

jifigz wrote:
Cold wrote:

That is totally bogus. Whether wild trout, stocked trout, or whatever all trout are governed by the same laws in PA except for in Special Regs areas and a trout stamp is required to fish for any and all trout unless on a private body of water (such as a stocked pond on my own land that I may have put trout into.)

Well, you are both wrong.;-)

Aducker wrote:
I've seen this same type of discusion down here with the Del Div of Fish and Wildlife. Sales of permits/licenses are on the decline so the thinking is reduce the fee and hopefully more people will buy a licence and there will be a net gain in sales.
What the sportsman are talking about in my area is the decline in people teaching the younger population about the outdoors and so there's a decline in sales.

Dear Jeff,

That right there is the problem. People aren't interested in spending time outside. They'd have to put their damn phones down to do so, and that isn't going to happen.

You can't make people want to go fishing.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

TimMurphy wrote:

Dear Jeff,

That right there is the problem. People aren't interested in spending time outside. They'd have to put their damn phones down to do so, and that isn't going to happen.

Regards,

I know, lets stock the river with Iphone 6s!

TimMurphy wrote:
Aducker wrote:
I've seen this same type of discusion down here with the Del Div of Fish and Wildlife. Sales of permits/licenses are on the decline so the thinking is reduce the fee and hopefully more people will buy a licence and there will be a net gain in sales.
What the sportsman are talking about in my area is the decline in people teaching the younger population about the outdoors and so there's a decline in sales.

Dear Jeff,

Regards,

You sure can, you just have to make em go the first few times. Had to babysit my GF's 10 year old boy about two saturdays ago so I took him out to hit the streams all morning. He only complained about leaving the his phone at home for about half an hour. Fished a couple local streams and even pulled in one 12+ brownie that surprised us both, among many other little smallies and all manner of chub fish that I can't even begin to identify. He had a blast and has been begging me to take him back out ever since. It was even chilly and raining that morning ha.

More on topic though, dropping a dollar seems pointless. A couple extra free fishing days or maybe some type of free "take a kid" fishing days where an unlicensed adult could take a kid and fish with em for free would probably do more to drum up license sales I'd think. I'm gonna be spending an extra two bucks it looks like anyway just like most of the rest on this site so this ain't big news to me.
Honestly I agree with most others on here, go ahead and jack it up. I pay 45 bucks for ten weeks of indoor volleyball in the winter, 10 bucks a night if I wanna indoor rock climb, 130 bucks for a surf pass in DE annually, and many other head scratching prices for all manner of bills in my life. 40 or 50 bones for a PA resident license is a steal IMHO.

6s are pretty small best to go with 12s and above

As the director of a non-profit, this particular non-profit needs to start running more like a non-profit.

It has no public face. It is seen as a tax on fishermen, when in reality they are a (disfunctional) environmental organization. People could potentially donate to the PFBC, they could do awareness drives, they could advertise- but it's easier to act like a tax, and just ding the law abiding citizens for enough to cover last year's bills.

Honestly, if they had programs like TROUTS for TOTs or other, catchy awareness campaigns, they'd be in financial heaven. And they wouldn't even have to abandon their 'tax' either.

It's a done deal...

September 30, 2014
FARMINGTON — The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission is decreasing the cost of fishing licenses and is seeking an increase in the cost of trout stamps.

Next up are boat registrations.

TribLive Story

Back