Lehigh River meeting - Nov 1st

L

LehighRegular

For those that may be interested in attending and voicing their opinion. Prior years this meeting was only attended by an invited "panel" of guests. This year its open to all. Don't miss out on all the fun!

http://www.nap.usace.army.mil/cenap-pa/spotlight/docs/FE%20Walter%20Review%20And%20Feedback%20Nov%201%202010.pdf

Corps to hold public comment meeting for 2011 recreation plan
PHILADELPHIA (Oct. 18, 2010) –

The U.S. Army Corps Engineers Philadelphia District will
hold a public comment meeting to review the 2010 Francis E. Walter Dam recreation plan and solicit feedback for the 2011 plan. The meeting will be held at 6:00 p.m. Nov. 1 at the Holiday
Inn Express in White Haven, Penn.

In 2010, the Corps held 22 of 24 scheduled whitewater events and numerous releases for fisheries throughout the recreation season. Following the large rainfall remnants of Tropical
Storm Nicole, the Corps was able to make additional large releases in early-mid October.

Organizational leadership is encouraged to attend and provide recommendations and feedback. Space will be limited. For more information, visit the Corps web site or Facebook page:

http://www.nap.usace.army.mil
http://www.facebook.com/fewalterdam

Darn my closing just got pushed to the 1st but I'll do my best to make this meeting.

I hope to see you there guys.

LRSABecker wrote:
I hope to see you there guys.

Shane,
You been out hunting lately? This past Saturday at the place I'm buying an estimated 500lb black bear walked out of the corn field and thru the yard. Not too mention several nice bucks have been seen. My buddy was working up that way and drove by the place yesterday and called me "Hey man alost 30 turkeys crossed the road nearby and a pheasant was walking along your gravel drive." Sweet, I can't wait to close on this place.

Ryan...Have not been out hunting, I have so much school work to do that I just can not find time. When I do have time it seems like I have chosen the rod for two hours of relaxation. It might be because I live less then 2 minutes from my favorite fishing spot and alot further from my hunting spot. Sounds like you have found the perfect piece of property MY FRIEND :) LOL

Will there be any discussion of making FEW bigger?

Its just a matter of storing more water. Yes, I think it's being brought up and we'll see if the ACOE is comfortable with another increase in storage. Its important for anglers to show up in support of the fishery. The WW cg interest in this fishery the better it will get.ommunity has always done this, hence they've gotten the scale tipped in their favor more. The more the powers that be see a strong, growing interest in the fishery the better off it'll be.

Alpa

Most of the discussion will be about improving the Flow Plans and getting feed back from those that attend.

Your request for making "FEW bigger" is a valid question. As Ryan said, anglers should ask for more water to be stored in FEW to increase flows in the summer during non-whitewater periods.

Temperatures are still an issue due to the discharge tower configuration, the quantity of whitewater events and the need for the Corps to maintain flood control capabilities (i.e. - discharging 90% of the water from bottom gates)

Anglers that attend should voice their requests toward improving the water temperatures in the river in the future. Any questions or request by an angler COUNTS for the trout too.

I'd estimate that the Whitewater crowd out numbers anglers by 10-1 at these Public Meetings. The whitewater groups are VERY vocal and strong.

Back