Learn from Joe

Thanks for sharing the video. That was great and I am sure I will watch it a couple of times. After a crappy day at work that was a well needed video. Trout fishing is great therapy!

Ahish, many thanks. Have seen and talked to the Master a number of times at Somerset. Always a treat. And, yes, the end was very moving!

great video. thanks for sharing that.

I learned so much from him and his videos and books (own em all), especially on small streams but nymphing, hatches and dries and drifts, casting, reading water, etc. as well. Met him several times, once streamside and then at the shows and so forth, talked a little fishing and PSU wrestling. It's rare to get the combo of such a great fisherman and talented teacher and a great guy who wants nothing more than to give it all back. Thanks Joe.

And for newbies, there is none better to try to emulate. There may be technically better casters and better writers out there. But none better if your goal is to catch fish. He is a fisherman. And his methods work. Everywhere, but especially in PA.

I've had a bit of a different experience. Im glad to hear that most people have had good dealings with this "legend".
I had read all the books and was soo psyched to finally have a chance to have a "class" taught by this gentleman.

Well, it started off as I expected. Tons of knowledge and it was everything I could imagine. Too good to be true apparently.

It all started to fall apart outside. First, there was the yelling, and I mean hollering over everyone else that someone wasn't casting properly!! Come on, most, if not all of us were new to this sport.

If that wasn't enough, it got better when we all got sreamside. As he finished up having a discussion with the class along the stream, he proceeded to again yell at a classmember for being in too much of a hurry and worried that they might be trying to "show up" the instructor.

Personally, I have never looked at flyfishing the same way since then. It was almost depressing to see someone that you had read and heard so much about be the antithesis of what you believe in.

Anyhow, just be careful out there. Find your own path and enjoy every step, no matter what others might think.

Great video, a friend gave me a personally signed book by joe as a gift and I lost it somewhere along the way. I have been looking for that book for about 6 years with no luck! It's been driving me nuts!

Took his class at PSU many years ago. Great teacher. Definitely a competitive showman. We used to call him Give-a-Show-Joe. He taught me more in ten weeks than I learned cumulatively from years before. During field trips, as he was instructing he would incidentally catch fish just half trying. Once, as our bus was getting ready to leave he was still fishing. The bus driver yelled, "Leave those poor fish alone Joe!" Of course he was too busy playing a fish to even board the bus! He is a passionate, excellent teacher. And definitely a character.

CPRASAP wrote:
I've had a bit of a different experience. Im glad to hear that most people have had good dealings with this "legend".
I had read all the books and was soo psyched to finally have a chance to have a "class" taught by this gentleman.

Well, it started off as I expected. Tons of knowledge and it was everything I could imagine. Too good to be true apparently.

It all started to fall apart outside. First, there was the yelling, and I mean hollering over everyone else that someone wasn't casting properly!! Come on, most, if not all of us were new to this sport.

If that wasn't enough, it got better when we all got sreamside. As he finished up having a discussion with the class along the stream, he proceeded to again yell at a classmember for being in too much of a hurry and worried that they might be trying to "show up" the instructor.

Personally, I have never looked at flyfishing the same way since then. It was almost depressing to see someone that you had read and heard so much about be the antithesis of what you believe in.

Anyhow, just be careful out there. Find your own path and enjoy every step, no matter what others might think.

There's always one lol

Great video, a friend gave me a personally signed book by joe as a gift and I lost it somewhere along the way. I have been looking for that book for about 6 years with no luck! It's been driving me nuts!

I don't know about in the future, as the man is in semi-retirement and by the sounds of it, heading more in that direction. But in the past he's been a mainstay at the fly fishing shows. Somerset, NJ as well as the Lancaster, PA show.

His book is on sale there. He usually has some scheduled time in the author's booth, and even if not, he's very approachable after his demos and presentations.

In other words, if you really want a signed book, it's not hard at all to buy the book and have him sign it personally at these shows. After a minute or two discussion with him, the signatures are usually well personalized with a drawing or two as well.

Of all the "legends" at shows like that, him and Lefty are by far my favorite two. Not to dismiss the contributions of any of the others, but most come across as businessmen. These two are "characters".

pcray1231 wrote:
Of all the "legends" at shows like that, him and Lefty are by far my favorite two. Not to dismiss the contributions of any of the others, but most come across as businessmen. These two are "characters".

Right on. Well said, PC. That's the problem I have with so many fly fishing "pros" these days. They tend to come more from the wallet than the heart.

mcwillja,

And here I am, "the one". Would you like to add to MY experience, please? If not, take it for what it's worth. A true "legend" gains that title, it's not taken or exclaimed, it's earned. Come on man, let's make our own mark.

Back