Large plunge pools/ water fall pools on small streams

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:

Is that culvert the one you told me about?

Yes. That fish could easily have been moving into a larger body of water, but the absence of seeing or catching anything in that hole for 18 months makes me suspect it was in there the whole time.

The "Pool Boss" phenomenon on small streams is one of my favorite things about fly fishing. I enjoy catching those fish more than much larger fish on bigger creeks.

On most small streams, legit "Pool Bosses" end up being Brookies in the 9-11" range, or Browns in the 12-14" range. These aren't huge fish, but they're not always easy to catch, especially the Browns.

Agreed, Swattie! I don't know that most fly anglers realize a) what size fish can live in small streams and b) that it takes a lot of things lining up just right to catch a pool boss brown, whether it is 13 inches or 18+ inches.

To tie this back to the OP, I'm fortunate to know and fish 3 very small streams within about 90 minutes of my location with 20"+ brown trout potential. The one stream has given up 5 20"+ browns in as many years, all different fish from different pools. 3 out of 5 took a black jig head streamer in high water. The 4th and 5th took the same fly, but strangely the largest one ate in mid-afternoon and gin-clear low water conditions. The other low-water monster was at dusk ahead of some rain, it made sense for a big fish to be feeding then. Those two low-water fish came out from undercuts in dead slack water to eat. The 3 high-water fish were in/under the turbulent water at the head of the plunge pools. I've never moved small stream fish that size on anything smaller than a size 6 fly.

The next size class of pool boss browns, 17-19", I've encountered in a much wider variety of conditions. While I've never caught a small stream fish that size on a dry fly, I have caught some on nymphs in clear water. Others ate streamers in all types of flow conditions.

One common thread on the two largest size classes - low barometric pressure, stable air temps.

When you get to fish that are 16" or less, I think you have a shot at them any time you are the first person on a small stream in the span of the past few days. I've caught them on any fly imaginable. But, if I had to pick a time to target pool bosses in this size class (on most small streams, this is as big as they get anyway), I would always prefer high water streamer fishing.

Good information sarce. I think we all agree for all large trout, but browns especially, high slightly turbid water is optimal. I have found success catching streams on the rise, and to some extent the fall to be just as productive. Prolonged or significant high water events can be challenging to fish let alone finding feeding fish.

Since we are now back into the large streamer discussion, what kind of rod are your throwing these with. My go to small stream rod is 7'6" 3wt. I can cast buggers around size 10 but that's a challenge. I have a 9' 4wt that would be my next go to rod if I know the stream is a little more open. I would have a hard time carrying my more dedicated streamer rod unless conditions were perfect and I knew I was hunting big trout.

Swattie,

IMO, to your situation only.
No way.
I mean your experience is true and indisputable but a fish that size would be there 6-7 years. Much longer than your 18 month sample. What 50 yards downstream or so? Is the main river.

Now that fish may hold up shop for awhile even but i have fished that trib multiple times. It didnot grow that fish IMHO.
Also too many larger brookies from too many of the tribs there from too many anglers (4) icluding myself but exculding your fish when compared to the rest of the state.

The main river is growing those fish far upstream and they come down and grow bigger yet or come in from the tribs and get bigger.
My opinion.

Either way i respects to pool bosses across the state in general i think we are both right. Not that i disagreed with you to begin with ;-)

Fish on brother!

Swattie and Salvelinus,

If your discussing the river and section that I am thinking of, there is only so much real estate for fish to move upstream before hitting a dam. Without a doubt some impressive brookies are making use of the low pH water in the mainstem that most other predatory fish (browns and smallmouth bass) can't tolerate.

My go-to rod is a 8'6" 4wt for small streams. I don't think a 9 footer would be too long. Even with streamers it helps to minimize how much line is on the water and let that jig streamer sink into the zone on a dead drift. If I am specifically targeting fish over 16" I'll use between 2X and 0X tippet and a size 2 fly. I keep the total length of leader+tippet around 7 ft at most to help the 4 wt cast it, any longer and it just gets very inaccurate. For other streamer fishing on your more typical streams where fish top out at 14-16" I go with 3X and some type of conehead woolly bugger or slumpbuster type fly in size 8.

sal - I had only fished the stream for 18 months. The first time I fished it, I caught lots of Brookies, but nothing in that hole. That hole, and continually catching nothing in it, is what kept me going back.

Both are plausible scenarios. The fish clearly had access to the river and may have attained much of its size there. I think there’s a high likelihood it was in that hole for the 18 months from when I first fished it, until I caught it though. Given the absence of catching anything else in it.

I think I caught that fish in Feb 2012. Since then I’ve fished the stream three times. Twice I’ve caught a couple small Brookies in that pool, and once the 15” Brown I mentioned earlier.

lyco - I bought a short (7’9) 5wt for small stream streamer fishing. I usually only fish it when I expect to be fishing streamers all day though. I like my lighter small stream rods for dries and make due with them if I temporarily switch to a streamer for a Pool Boss scenario.

Agreed, so what streamer tactics do you use for these types of pools? with very little moving water, you get little to no action dead drifting. I have had some success dragging streams along the falls and other obvious structure. One thing I haven't tried much of would be tying heavy jig like streamers and fishing it like a jig along key structure points.

Sorry didnt mean to ignore this i just missed it.

So what tactic is bad? That fish is a predator. Large nymphs. Crayfish. Baitfish. Other trout.
Think of how this would act in the various water columns. Imitate them as they would act.

In my personal opinion, a wholly bugger is a great searching patrern. Can imitate any of those i mentioned above.

Jig, strip, hold in the column like a bait fish, make it flee like one. Etc. Whatever.
All im saying in these fish chased other fish out or ate them. Think about that.

Bet a fish pattern would at least induce a look and likely a strike.

For low water or slow moving water fish it like a spring creek or fishing for carp. Dont throw your streamer where the trout is. Throw it where you can lead it to him gently.

Good luck!

I know a live bait that a pool boss cannot resist but I am not telling because this is a fly fishing site.
I have nothing to add to the comments but any thread with the term pool boss gets my attention.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
A pool boss is a pool boss because he eats or chases out the other fish. A BWO means nothing to this fish.

I didn’t mean a BWO, I meant an olive colored or black colored bugger. Give them some meat. Preferably something larger than you think a fish in a stream that size would eat.

Klingy,
No worries! I was just generalizing and not really refering to what you said there.

I think we can all agree on one thing for sure.
At any given time in a small streams giant hole either:
A) you catch a pool boss
B) you dont catch one but one is there and doesnt bite
C) he bites but you dont catch it.
D)there is no pool boss

25 percent chance.;-)

You can be like me and snag a tree in a wide open spot and spook it.
Either way:lol:

I'm late to the discussion here. An interesting although uncommon scenario is when you are approaching a large plunge pool such as this, and the pool boss is actually positioned such that he is facing downstream and sees you approaching. I encountered an 18" brown that did this and would bolt under a bedrock ledge at the first sight of something approaching from downstream. He'd hang out under the ledge for an hour before coming back out and retaking his original position in the pool. From the surface, the current appeared normal but upon closer inspection, the current along the bottom of the pool swirled bringing food right to the fish in this position. In short, the fish had a great vantage point for watching for predators while having to expend little energy to eat and was extremely close to its hideout. It took me several attempts to finally catch the fish. The moral of the story is that not every plunge pool fishes the same for a variety of reasons, and you have to adapt to put yourself in the best position to succeed. Just because you don't catch a large fish where you think you should, doesn't mean there aren't any there. Figuring out the intricacies of a particular pool and those that inhabit it are key. Had I not spotted that fish bolt out of the corner of my eye the first time I encountered him, I likely would not have been back since the stream has a mixed pop and is not known for having anything larger than 12".

cool thread. i fish a lot of smaller waters and want to try and start fishing for the pool boss from time to time

I would agree with what others said...get a bugger deep. Im partial to olive crystal or black crystal. You can get heavier ones as well but casting them can be a chore on lighter weight rods.

Paulson wrote:
You can get heavier ones as well but casting them can be a chore on lighter weight rods.

It really becomes much more of a pitching type cast, more similar to a cast you’d make with spinning or baitcasting gear.

I'm late to the discussion here. An interesting although uncommon scenario is when you are approaching a large plunge pool such as this, and the pool boss is actually positioned such that he is facing downstream and sees you approaching. I encountered an 18" brown that did this and would bolt under a bedrock ledge at the first sight of something approaching from downstream. He'd hang out under the ledge for an hour before coming back out and retaking his original position in the pool. From the surface, the current appeared normal but upon closer inspection, the current along the bottom of the pool swirled bringing food right to the fish in this position. In short, the fish had a great vantage point for watching for predators while having to expend little energy to eat and was extremely close to its hideout. It took me several attempts to finally catch the fish. The moral of the story is that not every plunge pool fishes the same for a variety of reasons, and you have to adapt to put yourself in the best position to succeed. Just because you don't catch a large fish where you think you should, doesn't mean there aren't any there. Figuring out the intricacies of a particular pool and those that inhabit it are key. Had I not spotted that fish bolt out of the corner of my eye the first time I encountered him, I likely would not have been back since the stream has a mixed pop and is not known for having anything larger than 12".

Late or not that was a great post with some wonderful nuggets to take in!

An old time gave me the advice to fish these holes for atleast an hour if you suspect a big fish is present. Although this tactic does not bode well for long several mile through fishes, the more time I spend on these types of holes the more I think he was on to something. It has been neat hearing various go to tactics for these situations. Personally, I have yet to catch a truly large fish on a dry fly in one of these holes. As wild trouter discusses in his post some holes have some very unique currents that you will likely not pick up on unless you sit, observe, and carefully watch your fly drift through various portions of the hole.

Back