lancaster area

daman1277

daman1277

I'm in the Lancaster area for work today and on my phone I have the Pa GPS app. It has a search feature for class A trout streams and I can't believe how many are with 20 miles of here. May have to plan a trip.

It might be best to keep your expectations modest on the wild trout fishing in Lancaster County. Yes, there are more streams than you'd think for that area, and even a few "Class A's," but it's my experience with them that they don't really fish like Class A's. It's been a good bit of time since many of them have been surveyed, and my guess is that if they were resurveyed a couple of those Class A's wouldn't make the cut now. Not saying they're not worth checking out, just that I wouldn't expect a day of huge numbers on them. If you have any specific questions on them, shoot me a PM...I know the ones in northern Lanc. County pretty well.

The ones not on the list are better, right Swattie? haha! Daman, if you ever want to get totted around northern Lanc, let me know. I'll show you a few places.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
The ones not on the list are better, right Swattie? haha!

Yeah, that's usually the case! For nothern Lanc though, I think they all tend to fish pretty similarly in terms of population density and number of fish caught. A half dozen fish in a few hours is a normal outing for me on these streams. I've had some 10+ fish days, but it's not the norm. One of the "Class A's" gave me 2 skunks in a row last year, during pretty good conditions too. I like these streams though...they're the closest wild trout streams to my house and they're easy for me to sneak out to for a few hours.

even though I live in NWern Pa now...I'm originally from lancaster...I was down recently and went with a friend of mine to the tulepahocken river (tule for short) in berks county....if you have the chance def take the drive up there....lots of species and just recently stocked with rainbows...another spot is hay's creek...also in berks...also just stocked

Back