kreinik

F

flytyingfred

this summer we ran into a fly fisherman that showed us a nymph that he tied with stuff called kreinik. its a thin metalic thread with lots of I guess you could say glitter. The black has many bright colors to it and he was using it quite successfully. I found a place in Reading that has a very good selection of it in all sizes and colors. They are a craft shop but also have a section on their website for fly fisherman. I saw today they have silk dubbing and I was wondering if anyone has ever used it before. they have some very nice colors and the price is 3.85 per bag. I dont know how much is in there but it looks adequate from the pic. it says its a good dry fly dubbing cause its thin and stays dry a long time without wicking water. I am wondering if anyone has used this and how it works before I order some colors from them. I did order a few rolls of kreinik and a book on how to tie flies with it. I will let y
ou know how the book is and how the kreinik is for tying nymphs.
they also have a few more interesting items on their fly tying section of the web site. The site is called stich N stuff pa. its worth checking out if you dont already know about it.

Kreinik Manufacturing Co. is located in Owings Mills, Md. They make braids, ribbons etc. mostly for crafts, hobbies etc. Pro fly tyer Harrison R. Steeves III of Blacksburg Va. uses alot of different Kreinak materials for his patterns.

OK, so here's Stich n Stuff: http://www.stitchnstuffpa.com

And here's the Kreinik maker's page with colour list:
http://www.kreinik.com/kshop/product.php?productid=51

I'm confused by some of this, it looks like tinsel.. Is this a steady, cheap, source of coloured mylar tinsel? I'm excited by that.

SnS also has Fyre Werks, which I've boughti n local craft shops as a bodi braid sub.

I'm also not sure, but can you brush the Krenink into lose fibres? I remember reading somewhere people trying to source what Gartside Secret Stuff actually was, and for some reason, this name rings a bell? But, that's all hearsay.

So, anyways, is it mylar? I like the idea of cheap pearl mylar.

In case the two links I posted weren't sufficient, gary goes for the encore and posts them again. :lol:

http://www.stitchnstuffpa.com/

http://www.kreinik.com/kshop/product.php?productid=51

jayL wrote:
In case the two links I posted weren't sufficient, gary goes for the encore and posts them again. :lol:

When I started my post, no one else had responded yet.

Leave me be, I'm balancing keeping you people entertained and providing the Internet to the masses.

gfen you cannot brush the kreinik it is a metallic thread with lots of different colors in. The nymphs that I saw tied with it were just the kreinik for the body and some dubbing or peacock herl for the head. It is a very sturdy thread that wont get beat up very easily. I have not used any flies that I have tied with it yet but I have tied with it. I also used it for ribbing and heads. In my first topic. I was giving some info on the material but also was asking a question about silk dubbing. I just wanted to know if anyone uses it and is it a good product for dry flies. the adverstising on it says that it is a wonderful dubbing for dry flies. They have a book on the website for 3.50 that is suppose to tell you all about tying with kreinik. I ordered it but it has not arrived yet. When it comes I can give you more info on how to use it if you would like. I am still new at using it so I cant help much right now.

i use it on the bodies of intruders...

_DSC0527.jpg

That stuff looks REAL interesting and the variety of colors and textures means i'll have to get my dusty ol wallet out thanks folks.

I bought some glow in the dark materiel from Kreinek years ago.
I tied some coffin flies with it, and thought that it would enable me to see the them floating on the water in the dark.
But it didn't quite work out as well as I thought it would. Just not enought glow to see them

I bought some glowing crystal flash, and its actually pretty darned bright... Maybe try that and wrap a fly with it?

I know I'll be whipping one of those up tonight, for sure.

The theory on the glow material is that you have to subject it to light before you use it. Since these are often evening affairs, that can be problematic. How long the "charge" has to be and how long it lasts I have no idea. I know the yellow abdomen on the Steeves Firefly uses it for that glow factor, which makes an awful lot of sense. It's also a clever selling angle.

I have not been particularly interested in fishing that late in the evening to verify the effect, and at any rate, I usually have those flies in a closed box and don't think about the light "charge" factor until it's too late.

I bought it at the ocean, and specifically figured it'd be good under the bridges when you were fishing the shadow lines. I'd just charge it up by hitting it with the little LED light in my pocket knife, cupped under a hand.

I know the exact place I want to give this a shot at, actually.

FWIW, it charges up real good under the LED penlight while not spilling extra light, but chuck it 30' fish you've been tossing things at two nights a week for a couple weeks now, and you still can't see it.

We used to tie a dry stonefly in size 6 for cats at night on the delaware. Used glow in the dark fly floatant on the fly. charge it up with a camera flash. could see it along ways out in the river. if it disappeared you struck, good for those big channel cats.

The beach glow in the dark never seemed to work. maybe because anything in the ocean that glows is poisenous, like jelly fish.

I dunno, but the trout surely didn't turn up his nose at it last night.

That's interesting. I tried tying a few with the mini glow in the dark thingamabobers. Charged it with LED and as soon as it hit the cold water is seems like it lost its charge.

Its hard to follow it if you don't know exactly where it hit, and there's any glare or movement of the water, but in a still pool it was pretty easy to track.

I want to make a new revision using it for only the wings, I suspect it'll be easier to see. Wings or a post.

Back