Knot tying from fly line to Leader

Cabela's Prestige is Cortland? I always figured them for Scientific Anglers, but that was just feeling, nothing to back it up.

If they're Cortland, then (some) Walmarts do still carry the Cortland lines for $13.

mgh-pa wrote:
Just a side question (not to hijack from the thread entirely), are you guys recommending a loop to loop as the best connection between the leader and line due to the lack of tools needed to attach streamside? Is it bad practice to actually clip the butt of the leader (assum ing a loop to loop wasn't used) when changing out leaders?

I wouldn't say its the best but its the easiest and will get you back on the water fishing a whole lot faster. At home you can **** around with knots as long as you like. On the bank I like it done and in the water.

You can clip the butt to a point but you shouldn't need to use more then a couple inches to create a loop.

gfen wrote:
Cabela's Prestige is Cortland? I always figured them for Scientific Anglers, but that was just feeling, nothing to back it up.

If they're Cortland, then (some) Walmarts do still carry the Cortland lines for $13.

Which cortland line does walmart carry?

The prestige is Cortland 444. I'm nearly certain of it. They are definitely cortland, because they have cortland's signature "rocket taper" as a spool sticker, as well as a few other obvious cues that I can't recall at the moment.

I think I saw that "fairplay" stuff at the mart...I'd buy seconds online before that stuff.

So Loomis, how much is that line, i cant see it due to the fact we are in school, but im going to end up buying a whole new line.

Its 10 bucks plus 4 dollars S&H. You can go on Ebay just log onto your account not DBguest. Check out my thread in the Gear Talk section. I am gunna be buying new line here soon...we can have a line buying party haha
Walleigh_World wrote:
So Loomis, how much is that line, i cant see it due to the fact we are in school, but im going to end up buying a whole new line.

The problem is i dont have an ebay acc. Any way i could just throw you some cash and you could order it? If not ill have to talk to my brother and see if he can. I can get cash by like wednesday.

Wel lwe dont have to buy it off ebay unless you wanna get that exact line. If you save 10 more bucks you could get some Prestige Line or Cortland (on sale right now) and it will be MUCH better...hence why I am buying new line lol.

But if you wanna get this I can probably buy it for ya if you just give me the cash

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=7259_RL&dir_id=1137&group_id=1157&cat_id=13350&subcat_id=13351

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0078702316494a&navCount=1&podId=0078702&parentId=cat21430&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat21404-cat601979-cat21430&catalogCode=OG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat21430&hasJS=true

Well i mean i get paid wednesday, if the line is better for only $10 more i might as well spend the cash. Where can you get it at? I also found out about this fly shop in reading, i guess its pretty nice, i might run up there one day if you wanna go with.

Tulpehocken Creek Outfitters?

And check the links I just put in that last post. You can print that cabelas screenshot out, and take it to them, and you will get it at that price if it isnt on sale there. I might be going up on friday with Douglas. He wants a flyrod :p...your welcome to come.

This is what I use, it's hassle free, and yes I know you do not need a tool but it is sooo much easier for me.

I Wont be able to go friday, maybe another day this week.

Walleigh_World wrote:
I Wont be able to go friday, maybe another day this week.

Alright dude. Your sitting next to me...this conversation is terminated :cool:

tomgamber wrote:
I think I saw that "fairplay" stuff at the mart...I'd buy seconds online before that stuff.

It is, indeed, Fairplay. And I'll bet that's just another name for whatever their cheapest line is.

Walmart's a funny place, when you cut a deal to have them sell your stuff, they want it at a certain price, and so many units. I don't believe for a second that the stuff in the Fairplay box is going to be all that much different from the stuff in the 444 box, it just doesn't make economic sense to run so many different production lines, y'know?

So, between a factory second and the Fairplay, I'd probably go with the Fairplay. On a good rod I'm going to use alot, I'd probably be willing to err on the side of chosing a well known line than either of those.

I've taken to using the Fairplay tippet material now from Walmart. Its half the price of the SA stuff I preferred and more available. Like above, I mostly put the Fairplay on when I'm not concerned about things too much, but its good enough for me to use.

tomgamber wrote;

"You don;t want to have to e tying nail knots streamside anyway."

Of course not but one doesn't ever need to tie a nail knot streamside. Here's what I, and many of my friends, do. Save the butt end from an old leader and cut off the Perfection loop, make your piece about two feet long. Then use the nail knot tier tool or have someone do it for you so you now have the heavy butt nail knotted to the end of your fly line. Now make a Perfection Loop on the remaining tag end of the butt but don't make it any longer than 6" - 10". Now your all ready to take a new leader with a Perfection loop on it and go loop to loop and fish.

BTW I often will have the same tapered leader on a line for months! I always buy tapered leaders that are 9' long and 1X size heavier than what I want. Then I tie a very small Perfection Loop at the very end of the tapered leader and at home I'll tie up half a dozen tippets, say 5X, 24" - 36" long with a Perfection loop on one end then just loop the tippet to the loop at the end of the leader. When it gets short unloop it, and put on another pre-made tippet.

Some guys may say it will "hinge" with all the loops - I say horse puckey to that and I've never felt there is one iota of difference between the loop to loops or tippets attached via blood knots.

It was obvious to see, but I overlooked it for 18 months anyways.

When you connect a loop-to-loop, watch how you snug it up. Done properly, it will form a square not; improperly it will just cinch around and form that hinge point.

JakesLeakyWaders wrote:
This is what I use, it's hassle free, and yes I know you do not need a tool but it is sooo much easier for me.

WOW. That thing is pretty nifty

Im jealous of that tool, that youtube video makes it seem so easy, do you have any problems with it? it doesnt seem like you would but you never know :-?

That's the same basic tool as the nippers version I have, just with only the nail knot functionality: No, there is no problem with it at all. In the beginning, I used it so infrequently I had to track down instructions, but used nail knots very frequently (new lines and changing out the old attachment methods), I have no problem.

I've even doubled up the fly line and then laid down two nail knots in a row for rear loops (put a bimini twist into the backing), and I'm pleased as punch.

im definitely going to try and get one ASAP. Considering i wanna get weighted forward line. It would make my life so much easier in the long run.

Back