knot issues

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I saw the blood knot post before and have a question. I have a blood knot connecting my floating line and my leader. I get my line caught on it when casting all the time. Any better knot to use rather that this to help this problem? I tried trimming the tag ends a little bit more and it helped some but I don't want the knot to come undone. Any suggestions?

use a nail knot for the line leader connection then put a small amount of goop or aquaseal to smooth it out.

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

I use the orvis braided loop connectors. It slides onto the end of your fly line like a chinese finger trap and is then sealed with a small piece of heat shrink tubing. It's got a loop at the end so you can do a loop to loop connection with the leader.

I used to use those braided connectors. I find that they can get pulled off. Hot summer days must weaken the shrink tubing.

I went back to a nail knot connection.

I see...

I had one of them come off once. I thought I might have screwed up when I rigged it somehow. I'll be sure to test them next time to make sure they are secure.

JayL, I always used a heat gun to shrink mine down. I thought they were as secure as they could possibly be. But after a while they'd let go. I never lost a fish that way, but I have cast them off the end of my line. I have to say, it's an irritating thing and fairly difficult to deal with streamside.

Try making a loop at the end of your fly line. Trim the end of the fly line at a sharp angle. Put a drop of superglue on the trimmed end. Make a small loop with the end of the fly line and wind over the overlapping line it with fly tying thread. Whip finish and coat it with Flexament or Knot Sense. The end of the line floats well, slides through the guides and tip top, and allows you to changes leader with the loop-to-loop connection. Braided loops fail (they have for me) and don’t float well, and nail knots don’t allow easy leader changes. I use this loop on all my lines.

I was taught this a long time ago. I take a length of thick mono, like 20 - 25 pound test and nail knot it to the end of the fly line. Then I make a surgeon's loop on the other end, 4" or so, so I can loop to loop any leader I want. You can change leaders in a flash, floats if you want it to, doesn't affect casting, not heavy, no splash. Very versatile.

Hmm..

Thanks guys, this has been an eye opener about the braided loops. I'll take AugustWest's advice, but I've also been meaning to try Afish's. Looks like I'll have to buy 2 new rod/reel/lines!

Give A-fishes advice a shot. I only use whipped loops now and I think my fly line would break before the loop.

Whipped Loop instructions

Back