Knot for fly-to-bend

I agree that tying a dropper on the bend of the hook causes a lot more misses. You can try to thread a second tippet through the eye of the hook for a dropper, but why not just tie a clinch knot on the first fly and leave a long tag on it to tie on the second fly? No need to try to thread a second tippet through the eye and one less knot to tie. I've done this for a long time. It works!

afishinado wrote:
I agree that tying a dropper on the bend of the hook causes a lot more misses. You can try to thread a second tippet through the eye of the hook for a dropper, but why not just tie a clinch knot on the first fly and leave a long tag on it to tie on the second fly? No need to try to thread a second tippet through the eye and one less knot to tie. I've done this for a long time. It works!

Even better!

jagger wrote:
Davy knot

I used to use this knot. Until I started losing fish because of it. Good knot fast and easy to tie but i dont trust it anymore. Lost a big brown 'cause that knot failed. Never tied it again after that.

Phish_On wrote:
jagger wrote:
Davy knot

I used to use this knot. Until I started losing fish because of it. Good knot fast and easy to tie but i dont trust it anymore. Lost a big brown 'cause that knot failed. Never tied it again after that.

Yea you have to be really careful with the Davy knot - when you clip the tag end you can't pull on it at all because it'll loosen the knot. Then you always have to tug on the knot a little to make sure it's snug. I lost a couple flies before I figured it out. Lol.

Back