Kiss the Water - Megan Boyd

RCFetter

RCFetter

There is a thread in the general section and another in the events section of the forum about the showing of ‘Kiss the Water’ to Aid Lehigh Valley Streamside Habitat.

I never heard of this movie and decided to check it out. It's about a Scottish woman, Megan Boyd, who devoted her life to tying salmon flies. There is no Wiki article on her but I did find her obit in the NY Times. She died in 2001. Here's the obit:

Megan Boyd, Eccentric Master of Fish Flies, Dies at 86

Here's a trailer for the movie "Kiss the Water"

Kiss the Water -- Trailer from Eric Steel on Vimeo.

Movie description: "In a cottage in northern Scotland, Megan Boyd twirled bits of feather, fur, silver and gold into elaborate fishing flies - at once miniature works of art and absolutely lethal. Wherever men and women cast their lines for the mighty Atlantic salmon, her name is whispered in mythic reverence, and stories about her surface and swirl like fairy tales. With breathtaking cinematography and expressive, hand painted animation, KISS THE WATER adheres to and escapes from traditional documentary form, spinning the facts and fictions of one woman life into a stunning film about craft, devotion, love, and its illusions."

You can purchase a digital copy of the movie now for $10
http://kissthewater.vhx.tv
I watched it a few days ago and really enjoyed it. Be warned it is not so much a movie about fly tying as a movie about a fly tyer. It is beautifully filmed and has many memorable moments. My favorite being her apprentice recalling her telling him to always remember "you are tying flies for fishermen, not for fish." A window into a time when quality still mattered.
Mike.

Back