Kicking off the 2016 Carpin' season

Fredrick.. I think my swift epic has more backbone, than most graphite rods. Glass can definitely take a beating. I am very excited to hook up. I was thinking of going out tomorrow for a bit.

Epics are stiff (especially for glass, which is why I never pulled the trigger on one). A 6wt Epic will do just fine!

Fredrick wrote:
Hit the Bwine yesterday right after I got back from Denver . Caught a nice one that wieghted 15 lbs on the boga . The fish didn't go on any long runs it just stayed in the same area I hooked it in and bulldog me around .
4FDDE6C0-58EF-4151-AEA1-4796F074B619_zpsgrzztycy.jpg
[/url][/img]

Nice fish, Fred!

Thxs it was pretty tricky casting in the middle of bushes to get to him. Here is some pics from my excursion in Denver .
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=386422748148240&id=319188781538304

That's awesome, Fred! Thanks for putting up some of your pics from your Denver trip. Those carp are so photogenic, you gotta love 'em.

Here is one I dredged out of a very thick weed bed on the Tully the other day. It was feeding just under the surface of a thick mat of weeds and I laid the fly right on top of weeds in front of the fish and it took it. A bit unconventional, but it worked. Wasn't much of a fight due to the large amount of weeds wrapped around the fish and leader but just another technique which under the right conditions can produce results.

Attachments

• Tully weed bed carp.JPG
    Tully weed bed carp.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 1
Nice DC Tull y is definitely on my list of spots to hit for carp . All my fish so far have been on the bottom I'm looking forward to getting one on or near the top .

Back in post #46 I mentioned about taking a carp by placing the fly on top of a mat of weeds right in front of the carp feeding just under the weeds. Well, in the past week I have brought three carp to the net using this same technique. The last two have been taken while feeding under a solid mat of weeds/scum that accumulated in front of the gate at the inlet to an old mill race. If the fly and/or leader breaks through the scum and touches the fish they spook every time but laying it right on top of the scum in the area they are feeding has proven very productive. I think the biggest advantage is that they can't see you and this is obviously very short line carpin' as I often only have inches of fly line out past the tip at the time of the hook set. This is a new technique (at least for me) and I have named it - scum skatin'. All I know is that under the right conditions it works! Just another tool in the box. Tight lines and reels screamin'!!

Attachments

• Scum Skatin Carp 1.JPG
    Scum Skatin Carp 1.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 3
  • Scum Skatin Carp 2.JPG
    Scum Skatin Carp 2.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 2
"Scum skatin' " for carp - I see that going a long way toward helping their reputation in the eyes of the average person. lol

If you have an issue with getting "mucked" up a bit, then carpin' is probably not for you. The scum, cow patties, burn hazel and electric fences (9' graphite fly rods are attracted to them) are all part of a normal day on the local carp beat. I love it!

what fly are u laying on top of wed mats or scum?
did u see any carp sucking in Trico spinners on the Tully?

acesedgley wrote:
what fly are u laying on top of wed mats or scum?
did u see any carp sucking in Trico spinners on the Tully?

I have just been using my "go to" buggy nymph type patterns because that is what has normally been attached to my tippet this season. I think they see a bit of vibration on top of the scum and just suck it in. I literally think you could hook up on one using this technique with a bare hook.

I didn't have the opportunity to fish over any carp sucking in Trico spinners on the Tully so far this year. So, bringing a carp to the net taken on a Trico spinner still is on my list of "things to do". Once I find the right pod of feeding carp in a little backwater eddy area where the spinners get caught up, it could be a lot of fun.

i met up with DC410 again, had many chances to present to carp.. i came to realization, i SUCK at carp fly fishing. LMAO

Ok guys so here is my directorial debut . Sorry about the sound quality I had the waterproof case on. If you know the location please keep it to yourself .
https://vimeo.com/173973926

Nice fish Fred!
I think your comment about location should be directed towards the Moderators!!!!!!! ;-)

codym21 wrote:
Nice fish Fred!
I think your comment about location should be directed towards the Moderators!!!!!!! ;-)

Thxs . Those moderators are the worst

Nice job, Fred. Was that fish feeding on the bottom, suspended in the column or doing something else?

Thxs,He was feeding off the bottom

Back