Keystone select trout waters

Krayfish, I agree on your "state of PA wild trout" assessment and some of what needs done. You're actually on the liberal side of my views. Hahaha!

krayfish2 wrote:

* any water that holds class A population should be removed from stocking list, closed to all fishing from Oct 30 - April 1, reduced harvest limits or slot limits on class A waters. Do survey on stream prior to change in regs and again 3 years later. Barring a water quality issue, the numbers should show improvement.

*Complains about lack of fishing opportunities. Solution = closing the streams worth fishing for 5 months.

I think reducing the limit on wild trout waters is a good idea but only if putting stocked trout waters back to the limit of 8.

Wild trout guys get what they want and the meat eaters get what they want.

Of course this probably wouldn't make any difference to the anglers that fish these streams as wild trout angler don't keep fish very often to begin with and stocked trout anglers sometimes keep more than their limits.

End opening day, quit stocking over good wild populations, lower limits, season open year round, keep fish seasons the same as now.
Same rules work in other states just fine.

Biker hit the nail on the head. End the opening day stampede is something ive wanted for a very long time. it blows my mind that the state still thinks this is viable in the long run

Agreed Midge, but up here in the Laurel Highlands opening day is big business. Restaurants, bars, hotels are hopping.

Allan

If you're going to quote, please be accurate. I said there are very limited opportunities in this state for trophy wild trout fisheries. Stating facts, not complaining.

They’re selling postcards of the hanging
They’re painting the passports brown
The beauty parlor is filled with sailors
The circus is in town
Here comes the blind commissioner
They’ve got him in a trance
One hand is tied to the tight-rope walker
The other is in his pants
And the riot squad they’re restless
They need somewhere to go
As Lady and I look out tonight
From Desolation Row

Always a sucker for a well place Dylan lyric. Nice Jackm!

>>I said there are very limited opportunities in this state for trophy wild trout fisheries. Stating facts...>>

If you were to say that there are very limited opportunities in this state for wild trout fisheries precisely like the Delaware and its WB, I could maybe agree. Otherwise, no I don't think your view is accurate. There are a LOT of opportunities for trophy wild trout fishing in PA. A lot of them are situational and in some cases, incidental and not necessarily laid out like a Happy Meal. But they are there and are a far cry from "very limited".

It is odd we still have class A streams in spite of the detrimental year long fishing that is allowed.

Midge22 wrote:
Biker hit the nail on the head. End the opening day stampede is something ive wanted for a very long time. it blows my mind that the state still thinks this is viable in the long run

Unfortunately, as long as there are trout stocked in general regs waters, there will be an "opening" day of sorts. Remove the official opener and stocking day will become the season opener for a particular creek.

Heck even the stockings in DHALO areas bring out a swarm of anglers.

Stocked fish are easy targets and as long as the PAFBC stocks them, people will act like children trying to catching them.

PennKev wrote:
Midge22 wrote:

Unfortunately, as long as there are trout stocked in general regs waters, there will be an "opening" day of sorts. Remove the official opener and stocking day will become the season opener for a particular creek.

Heck even the stockings in DHALO areas bring out a swarm of anglers.

Stocked fish are easy targets and as long as the PAFBC stocks them, people will act like children trying to catching them.

Yup, but if ya get rid of the 8am start time, and an official day to start the season, people wouldnt get as worked up. Its like a holiday for some people, and i just dont understand it. they fish for 2-3 weeks and call it quits after the last stocking. why not stock earlier and let each stream become its own opener. I guess i just do not get the whole "better put chairs out friday night so we get our spot for saturday morning" people.

and the swarms of people fishing now are just becuase of the opening day for the most part. They cant wait for the opener so they are getting the bugs out now that its nice. If it was cold still, you wouldnt see many people. now if they started stocking earlier, you wouldnt see that pressure on those special regs areas, they would be spread out all over the ATW's. This is my main gripe. everyone has the itch early, why not stock early, and get full usage of the stocked fish in ATW's. i mean that is the states goal right? to fill everyones freezer?

In any survey done of trout anglers across the state opening day is always ranked by the anglers as being of great importance. Opening day is here to stay.

I have only been fly fishing for about two years now but have fished for trout since i was big enough to hold a rod. When I was a kid we used to do the whole get to the creek at 5am and wait for the 8:00 start what a joke what was I thinking lol. I haven't been out on opening day in at least 15yrs just a mess not worth dealing with. Not to mention whats the point of throwing some bait out there and catching your limit in 5mins.

Mike wrote:
In any survey done of trout anglers across the state opening day is always ranked by the anglers as being of great importance. Opening day is here to stay.

Since I was a kid, the most important days of each year; where I had trouble sleeping the night before, were (in no particular order):

Christmas morning
Trout season opener
Deer season opener

Still get excited!...

What's all the bah humbug about?! Go fish. Have a good time. Don't worry about how other people, why other people, or when other people like to fish.

I go to 20 Pirates games a year, but I still understand why people get very excited if they only get to go once a year.

People have different hobbies and different levels of commitment.

There are probably hardcore golfers that don't understand how someone could play 2 or 3 times a year, shoot a 120, and still leave with a smile.

Bearski wrote:
I go to 20 Pirates games a year, but I still understand why people get very excited if they only get to go once a year.

People have different hobbies and different levels of commitment.

There are probably hardcore golfers that don't understand how someone could play 2 or 3 times a year, shoot a 120, and still leave with a smile.

My understanding is that K-fish plays 3 or 4 times a week and shoots 120....and he's the jolliest guy I know.

There's a lot of tradition in opening day, not just in PA either. Having a closed season during like KF says is definitely better for trout. With that being said, I do buy a non res PA license every year (and make 4-5 trips to PA during the NY off season).

Tom,
I play once or twice a month. I used to be more serious about it and now use it as an excuse to get outside and drink a few beers. I never understood the guy that shoots 120 and 'enjoys' the game. I'd break my clubs. A great day is 73-74 and an awful day is 84-85. It is what it is. My bro plays less than I do and his range is 69-95. Lol. Opening day of trout is like being a scratch golfer surrounded by guys shooting 150. Not that much fun.

krayfish2 wrote:
Tom,
I play once or twice a month. I used to be more serious about it and now use it as an excuse to get outside and drink a few beers. I never understood the guy that shoots 120 and 'enjoys' the game. I'd break my clubs. A great day is 73-74 and an awful day is 84-85. It is what it is. My bro plays less than I do and his range is 69-95. Lol. Opening day of trout is like being a scratch golfer surrounded by guys shooting 150. Not that much fun.

^A great day is 73-74 and an awful day is 84-85!

Whoa! I guess if I played that well, golf would be fun! Rather spend my time FFing than doing anything.

Back