Joe Humphreys documentary

I will not budge if a guide shows up even if it was Joe. The sport of fly-fishing would continue with out much hesitating when Joe leaves the stream of life.

Dear Board,

This thread has been interesting.

Some of the same people that railed against Joe Humphreys almost 25 years ago when I first visited this forum are still doing it. They have apparently been joined by a new cadre too?

To all of you I have this to say, before you can sell out you have to first accomplish something.

Good luck with that!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

wildtrout2 wrote:
This forum has been around for 25 years?

Yes, roughly.

The post counts and join dates do not reflect earlier iterations of the website. There are members on this sight that have been part of the Paflyfish community since the 1990s.

Dave_W wrote:
wildtrout2 wrote:
This forum has been around for 25 years?

Yes, roughly.

The post counts and join dates do not reflect earlier iterations of the website. There are members on this sight that have been part of the Paflyfish community since the 1990s.
Thanks Dave, I was not aware of that.

as stated before, sometimes disapproved of methods used to get where your at. sounds like a book, TRICKS, TACTICS AND LIES, is due.

However, Joe H. has brought thousands to the art of fly. for this a golden star is deserved. I did not do that. you did not.

sometimes, a weigh in, between good and evil is necessary for the final result.

we all are human. some go south till they find the north star. maxima12

maxima12 wrote:
as stated before, sometimes disapproved of methods used to get where your at. sounds like a book, TRICKS, TACTICS AND LIES, is due.

However, Joe H. has brought thousands to the art of fly. for this a golden star is deserved. I did not do that. you did not.

sometimes, a weigh in, between good and evil is necessary for the final result.

we all are human. some go south till they find the north star. maxima12

Well said, I have a hard time understanding some of your posts but for this you get a gold star.

ryansheehan, like your tan in photo. The maxima always has ways to determine a fisherman. You been in the sun on the water on hot sunny days. Water tan. Blast off, brother of brothers.

Well hollywood, keep the faith. Would enjoy following you on a trip as a photografic button on your vest.

You got some stories, why keep them to yourself.

Post #30 is hall of fame status.

troutbert wrote:
A common pattern is to raise certain people up to near demi-god status.

Then to tear them down and demonize them.

You see this pattern not only with well known flyfishers, but also with musicians, athletes, movie actors, and just about any field imaginable.

Don't forget writers. ;-)

I agree it is common, but refuse to participate in that. Well, at least not the first part. ;-)

I'm not sure I totally agree with troutbert. I'll go with fly-fishing. I believe that fly-fishing writers who remain consistent and who do not abandon those who have supported them (to demi-god status?) are not torn down and demonized. Among those are fly-fishing writers such as Robert Traver, Charles K. Fox, Geroge Harvey, Bus Grove, and Joe Brooks. I would include Vincent Marinaro in this group, though I know his reportedly irascible personality sometimes put him in conflict with people with views that differed from his. To my knowledge, none of these has been torn down and demonized about his views on fly-fishing.

It is those who do abandon their audience/supporters in the name of money who do become demonized. Without naming them, I can think of several who sadly fall into this category.

There are other fly-fishermen/writers who gain admiration from people who respect their views on fly-fishing but who inspire enmity from others who do not agree with what they write. This, however, is not a building up and then tearing down process; rather, it deals with how different people look at fly-fishing.

I think the same pertains to other activities, including athletics, etc, as t/bert has noted.

Anyhow, just my take on this.

rrt wrote:
I'm not sure I totally agree with troutbert. I'll go with fly-fishing. I believe that fly-fishing writers who remain consistent and who do not abandon those who have supported them (to demi-god status?) are not torn down and demonized. Among those are fly-fishing writers such as Robert Traver, Charles K. Fox, Geroge Harvey, Bus Grove, and Joe Brooks. I would include Vincent Marinaro in this group, though I know his reportedly irascible personality sometimes put him in conflict with people with views that differed from his. To my knowledge, none of these has been torn down and demonized about his views on fly-fishing.

It is those who do abandon their audience/supporters in the name of money who do become demonized. Without naming them, I can think of several who sadly fall into this category.

There are other fly-fishermen/writers who gain admiration from people who respect their views on fly-fishing but who inspire enmity from others who do not agree with what they write. This, however, is not a building up and then tearing down process; rather, it deals with how different people look at fly-fishing.

I think the same pertains to other activities, including athletics, etc, as t/bert has noted.

Anyhow, just my take on this.

troutbert wrote:
A common pattern is to raise certain people up to near demi-god status.

Then to tear them down and demonize them.

You see this pattern not only with well known flyfishers, but also with musicians, athletes, movie actors, and just about any field imaginable.

The same pattern probably exists in the worlds of model airplane builders, and stamp collectors.

Once you recognize that pattern, you place less importance on either phase.

You recognize that neither the adulation phase or the contempt phase is very reality-based.

Rich,

I believe the quote you are referring to is copied above ^

I found it to be very thought provoking for me; I never really thought about it before. I believe it to be essentially true in our society today.

With regard to the "old masters" of fly-fishing you mention, they were the product of a past generation. If any of these men were alive today and active in the fly fishing, they would too be subject to the dichotomy detailed in Dwight's post above. My 2 anyway.

I'd agree that he (t/bert) is right in some cases. But, other "heroes" seem to be able to maintain their respect. I'd hate to think that even today that Traver et. al. would be torn down.

Even though I still read a lot, I don't know of any of today's writers who have gone up so high and then get yanked down. I think of Gierach, who still seems to retain respect, but maybe he is of the previous generation, too.

On this board, Dave Weaver, esp. as a fishing artist, seems to have earned high respect, without people tearing him down.

So, even though what Dwight says is sometimes true, I think often it is not. I hope it is not anyhow. I agree that his post is certainly thought-provoking.

I saw it in state college for his 93rd birthday. Seems like a nice enough guy. The movie was good, portrayed him as a likeable fellow. The theater was packed at the second show. I don't know about all the other stuff but many people for some reason don't like it when others are successful and get what comes with success. It's in everything. It seems in the current cultural climate that part of being very successful you will be scrutinized and held to a much higher standard than ordinary people. For the record I've only been fly fishing for 3 years and moved to central pa 4 years ago and didn't know who he was until 2 years ago. After seeing the movie he seems like a pretty big deal in fly fishing so to see people speak poorly of him and his intentions is no surprise.
My 2c

Actually, the State College show was on Joe's 90th birthday.

What I find ironic is that the people who bash Joe on here would probably be the first one's to line up to watch him fish if they stumbled upon him fishing at Fisherman's Paradise.

DriftingDunn wrote:
Actually, the State College show was on Joe's 90th birthday.

What I find ironic is that the people who bash Joe on here would probably be the first one's to line up to watch him fish if they stumbled upon him fishing at Fisherman's Paradise.

I wouldn't fish at Fisherman's Paradise if Jesus was there giving free lessons, so no I wouldn't go there to see Joe.

Back