Jam

• Thread starter streamer-stripper
  • Start date
gfen wrote:
pete41 wrote:
cross the street,alone.

I'm never leaving the house again, you saw what happened when I got brave this year...

Yeah, umm, hate to tell you this bro, but I will drive down there and drag yer arse out of the house next year. I stuck ya with a quill pen while you were sleeping last year. I got a contract signed in your blood. Them's the breaks, dude. Oh crap, I think I used the feather with the tick on it. My B.

Boyer

I recommend the JAM (all caps for jay) to anyone considering it. I went just because I never got to fish Spring or the L.J. before. I got to meet (drink with) a few of the characters on here and had a most excellent time. I even caught a handful of browns on dries despite the high water. Can't wait til next year.

walnut,

ROFLMAO!

may I be your doug to your one man wolf-pack?

I'll be at the steelie jam this year. It will be my first. as such i am looking forward to it as a way of meeting new people and finding out more about the sport that I love.

" i just want you to know walnut, I'm a steel trap. whatever happens in erie, I will never ever ever speak a word of it. seriously I don't care what happens. I don't care if we kill someone,you heard me, it's sin city, I won't tell a soul"

I think I've been to 4 main JAMs and 2 steelhead JAMs. The love of the sport unites a very diverse group of individuals. It's always fun getting to know new folks and catching up with longer term friends and acquaintances. No one ever tires of hearing your fish stories at these gatherings.

albatross wrote:
.... No one ever tires of hearing your fish stories at these gatherings.

Uh, Greg, there's something we have been meaning to tell you.... :cool:

albatross wrote:
The love of the sport unites a very diverse group of individuals.

You sure have a funny way of spelling "bourbon."

lol

Just wanted to share a little history, but not factual, more conceptual:

The board was Dave's idea to create a "neighborhood watering hole" for anglers across the great expanse of the internet. At the "bar" they could discuss fly fishing topics.

You can see this in the opening sentence of the site policy:

"This website is here to help foster a shared interest in expanding our knowledge, experience and most importantly our enjoyment for fly fishing in Pennsylvania. Humor, ideas, debate, and opinions are encouraged."

When the first Jams began, it was clear that the nightly firering was an expanded and also more interesting correlate to the forum itself. In turn, the forum became more like the firering because the core of the posters had at least met eachother once or were a mere degree of separation from that by knowing other posters who had met you and vice versa.

At my club, there are some folks who like to encourage the jukebox to play some country tune called "I love this bar." Those that attend regularly, whether they like the song or not, generally agree with the sentiment. The same may be said of the PAFF community. While there are a few detractors among that post, most people enjoy the social interactions with others that share their bizzarre interest in FFing.

This site can be very useful and entertaining in its own right, but the gatherings we have had and the friendships I have formed with anglers all over PA (and beyond) have enhanced my enjoyment of the site immensely.

Originally I just wanted to meet some of the folks I had been communicating with for so long. It did help me get a much better draw on their character and it became apparent there wasnt one that I had met that I disliked. We may argue, but all familys do.
I've definately expanded my fishing partners.

(Edit: All familys have a black sheep or two) :)

trowpa wrote:
I go to fish with new people, to reconnect with those i've fished with before, and to escape from the stressors of life.

oh...and for the chicks as well. Particularly in Hancock.

Those two waitresses at the Italian restaurant had the HOTZ for you bro! You should have gotten up on that.

The draw for the jams for me is to connect with a great bunch of like minded individuals. Some of the people who contribute on this site are some of the best fly fishing people (anglers?) in the East. Collectively, the jams have a millennium of experience, you can't beat that for the price.

Generally the after hours campfires are great too. Lots of shenanigans and the like. All around good times. Chances are you'll make some new friends too.

Well, being the anti-social a$$ that I am, I didn’t think I’d like participating in the JAMs but I did. It was nice to be able to put a face and personality with the screen name. There is quite a diverse group on here and getting to know some of these characters is quite fun. Also, there are some old heads with a considerable amount of fishing knowledge and it never hurts to absorb a little of that stuff.

JAMs must not be too bad, hell, I’ve now run 2 of them for NE PA. Any of you experienced guys should really step up to the plate and make the “newbie JAMs”. It’s a chance to reconnect with guys on the board and share what you know with the new guys. I’m sure someone mentored you at some point in this sport.

trowpa,
You are banned from Hancock for turning the women on too much! LOL

I've been to ONE Jam, but I've fished with other people from the board on separate occasions. I took the time off to go to the main jam this past spring, but never got around to it.

I wanted to go in 2010, but I thought that being so green, it would be embarrassing/not much fun. I regret it.

For any new people on the board, do NOT be afraid to go to jams because of your experience level. I strongly suggest you to go to as many as possible. No one will harass you about your skill. People will let you alone, or help. I went to the Deleware Jam, and still being the greenest of the bunch by far, it was absolutely amazing fun.

So if you're thinking about going, GO!

I have been wanting to go to the big JAM since I first found this site and heard of it. Usually something comes up thought. I am hoping to make it next year, especially since I have that pop up camper now. I have met a handful of the members on here and are great guys. One of them when the fishing wasn't good we were shooting the breeze and watching the "wildlife"...

I only went to one and that was just to pee in Tom Gambers beer.

Back