It's Wet Fly Time!

Dave_W

Dave_W

Staff member
Speaking as one who typically sticks nymphs or throws streamers during the colder months when trout fishing, I'm mainly a seasonal wet fly guy. On occasion I'll swing a brace of soft hackles in the summer or fall, but April and May are really the months when I fish wets consistently. Active sub-surface bugs are all over the place right now and swinging wets can really produce, especially if caddis are active.

Recent reports on the Tully and Codorus Creek reveal that soft hackles are hot right now. Yesterday on the Breeches, I did well with traditional nymphing, but when I worked my way back downstream fishing soft hackles on the swing, the fish really responded and the score for the downstream soft hackle wets easily beat out the upstream nymphs.

It's prime wet fly time!

Good call. Swinging my pet caddis pupa produced plenty of action for me today, and I entertained the idea of putting on a more traditional wet fly but the activity was steady enough I didn't feel the need to switch. It's also getting to be ant time here in the Southeast.

For me, it's always wet fly time. April, however, is my favorite time for wets.

Soft hackles have been the ticket for me for the last week or so, especially in the right water--a foot or two of water at the tail of a riffle. And the reward are the wild brownies instead of the stockies.

What patterns and sizes are you all using?

STONEMAN wrote:
Soft hackles have been the ticket for me for the last week or so, especially in the right water--a foot or two of water at the tail of a riffle. And the reward are the wild brownies instead of the stockies.

Agree - definitely my experience as well.

Riffles, as well, are full of hungry little wilds that are really keyed on swimming insects right now. A local brookie stream was the same: lots of stocked fish (and fishermen) in the predictable pools, but many small wilds to be had in riffles and tailouts.

troutbert wrote:
What patterns and sizes are you all using?

I'm usually using a light brown version with partidge soft hackle and a light green version with PSH. Mostly #14s. Some are weighted with a bead. Although traditionally tied sparse and narrow, I like my wets on the scruffy side.

Purple and starling off a tag and a Leadwing coachman at the point. Both equally successful.

Dark Hendrickson wet as the top dropper and a Waterhen Bloa on point. It's my goto combination for the "April Grays". (Hendricksons, Quill Gordons, Blue Quills, etc).

Both have been quite effective, although on my water (Gunpowder Falls in MD), sulfurs are starting to show up and I'll have to switch shortly.

I don't stick to any one type of presentation. Certain nymphs normally work quite well this time of year. And last weekend was no exception. There were alot of risers also, so I was throwing small dry flies as I tried to match the hatch. Alot of sunnies would get to the fly first which proved to be fun and challenging. I usually go out for a couple of hours and that's enough for my fix. Got many a projects that need to be completed before it gets really hot out.

Fished open water the first day of the regular season. Did pretty well on bead head pheasant tails. Switched over in the afternoon to two different wets and had a blast. First an old vintage pattern the "Professor" in size 12 and then a "Dark Hendrickson" in size 14. I am beginning to enjoy fishing wets more and more. I love that SMACK!

Starling and purple.
Bobwhite and orange
Size 14 or 16.

Thanks for the reminder! I had a blast on Friday swinging a tandem rig of soft hackles. Digging out the Coachman for next week.....

Back