Is this the year of the brown trout in Erie?

That belongs on the steelhead thread, my fault.....I did see some browns in the 20 inch range from route 5 down to the mouth though.....

this is year 4 i believe.. they were here last year.

don't expect too many returns though... they all get roped before they reach the lake

My recollection tells me theyve been in for 3 years. Been anxiously waiting.
It was kinda stupid how they put a bunch of mature and breeders in with the youngins back then, and then didnt put a stip on harvesting them. I saw a ton get roped that year myself. It was more like an in-season stocking than anything.
Lotsa 14 1/2 inch brownies on stringers. :)

square,

they first experimented on the east side streams and some tribs prior to the major stockings and it was def. 4 years ago. the staple numbers were put in the popular spots 3 years ago though and yes, a lot were roped. They should have stocked them just as they did the smolts. Not arguing, I just remember because it was my first year of centrepinning.

Funny how those idiots are ignorant to what was going on; they actually thought they were catching stockies the first day of trout even though technically they were.

If yer really serious about catchin a brown go to the " Oak". As for browns in the tribs in Erie, they be a small side show "bonus".

CatchingChrome wrote:
...Not big numbers but always catch 2-3 a year. I am really hoping the browns really work out. While I really welcome the browns, I hope our fishery doesn't turn into a 18 mile creek situation. Hopefully they will flourish and get spread out...

i'm looking forward to seeing what happens to all of this. remember what happened when pa had a salmon stocking program...

the trout (both brown and rainbow) in new york come into the tribs to eat and reproduce. they want eggs. new york has salmon coming in
from the eastern basin, the browns have good reason to head up behind them.

i think that the rainbows come into pa waters in such great numbers because so many are stocked. they, too want eggs, but the only thing dropping them are suckers (early) and other rainbows later.
are enough browns being stocked to duplicate this?
it will be interesting to find out...

I've landed a few browns already. Only 1 under 20". Obviously there are not as many in comparison to the chromers, but there already has been a good number of them throughout the system.

Year of the brown trout

I went few days ago to 20mile creek, Erie
This beauty brown weights over 6lb and measure 23”

Attachments

• 00220mile creek_web_old-song.jpg
    00220mile creek_web_old-song.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 2
NICE FISH there skybay!

great photo too Skybay.

nice catch jared

Back