Introducing my father to Big Spring

Great story Quatch. That's what FFing is all about.

My cress bug suggestion on color is to blend you dubbing in a color such that you can't decide if it's olive, tan or gray...lol. Also blend in natural furs with lots of guard hairs, on pick them out to finish the fly.

But the exact color isn't the most important thing (to me anyway). Cress bugs are flat on the bottom and are oblong shaped. To imitate that shape, try tying lead (or lead substitute) on both sides in the middle of hook shank. Wrap your dubbing and trim, mostly on the bottom to make the body flat. I use mono ribbing to imitate the segmentation and also to hold the dubbing together. Pick out the dubbing sides to extend out the body to be wider. Also, I often use a dark brown perm marker to imitate the dark stripe on top of the back. It's a very simple fly.

Here are actual pics of BS cress bugs I found. Note the color and the shape...

Attachments

• Big Spring Cressbugs2.jpg
    Big Spring Cressbugs2.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 3
Thanks Afish. The mono ribbing is a good idea. I was trying a pattern last night w/out any ribbing and I couldn't get my dubbing to do what I wanted when I picked it out. Thanks for posting the pictures.

At last year's Tying Jam, Old Lefty shared his cressbug pattern - per my request. That thing works so good, I chucked all my cressbug patterns, and replaced them with his pattern.

Attachments

• 8-2.jpg
    8-2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 8-3.jpg
    8-3.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 2
Great posts! Afishinado I like the mono ribbing idea.

To get the proper shape of a cressbug comb the dubbing out to the sides and trim the top hairs to give it the appearance of a flat back. I like to add a little epoxy to the top of the fly. I think it gives a more lifelike appearance.

I like old lefty's pattern... I also like the Ray Charles tied with ostrich herl in gray and tan.

I gotta try to get some Ostrich hurl. I was thinking of just going the Ray Charles route.

S'quatch, PM me your address, I think I have both colors in my tying stuff and I'll never use it all. I'll send you some.

BTW, I think its HERL haha! Nothing beats tying Ray Charles with ostrich vomit.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
BTW, I think its HERL haha! Nothing beats tying Ray Charles with ostrich vomit.

Hell, if we get points deducted for spelling, I'm screwed! My buddy Englishprof might disown me!

Update on the Fox Cub and fishing. My son comes home today from college to get the car and over hears me talking about this weekend and he says, "are looking for someone to go fishing with this weekend". I'm like freakin pumped. I'll post how it went in a new post after we go, if we go. He wants to check his schedule. I hope he can fit the old man in! Damn, Papa Fox is excited!

Great story Squatch.
Fox, don't go overboard there is always a chance your son won't like it. I've taken my son a few times but he doesn't seem very interested. Don't be to much like Don, mix in little of me. Take him to that brookie stream you and I went to, or go a little north of your cabin. Either way there'll be good brookie fishing.
Pat, you know where to take your son when the time comes and it isn't that far way. If I remember correctly it's a place kbob took you

Someone needs to fill the Fox Kit in on the fine art of distracting the Fox, so you can zoom in and steal his fish.

Dog and I both volunteer to teach him this when he's ready. :cool:

Chaz wrote:
Fox, don't go overboard there is always a chance your son won't like it. I've taken my son a few times but he doesn't seem very interested. Don't be to much like Don, mix in little of me. Take him to that brookie stream you and I went to, or go a little north of your cabin. Either way there'll be good brookie fishing.

Great advice Chaz. Not sure if we go this weekend I'll want to take him all the way up there but I certainly had the same thought. Good fishing for sure.

BTW, we will get out soon.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Someone needs to fill the Fox Kit in on the fine art of distracting the Fox, so you can zoom in and steal his fish.

Dog and I both volunteer to teach him this when he's ready. :cool:

Yikes, You two are too good at that and I'll try to keep him in the dark for at least a few years!

Back