I'm an Idiot!

Heritage-Angler wrote:
If you'd have called, I would have made an emergency trico delivery - that's what buddies are for. :-D

Trust me when I tell you the THOUGHT did cross my mind but I figured you had just gotten to sleep.

dc410 wrote:
Don't be too hard in yourself, Fox ....... Life is just too short!

Thanks for the pick me up guys but they tell me self deprivation is good for the soul...............boy my soul must be stellar!

Dog's computer must be broken since its been all day and he hasn't chimed in on this one yet. It doesn't take a softball for him to hit em out of the park but you put this one on a tee.

I know the feeling though when I left my waders and boots at home to go fish the LL and also the rod one time when I went to valley. It blows but at least you caught fish. Im sure you could of found a way to catch them on something else during the spinner fall if you weren't ready to break your rod in half

We have all done it in one way or another. I left my fly rod at stream one time. Had that weird sense of something not being right as I was driving for about 45 minutes and then it dawned on me. Jumped out of the truck and checked to find my empty rod case. Had to drive back and search for it with a flashlight. Easily found, but a lesson learned.

Fox, when all else fails just break out an Adams.

martin0206 wrote:
Dog's computer must be broken since its been all day and he hasn't chimed in on this one yet. It doesn't take a softball for him to hit em out of the park but you put this one on a tee.

Just got off the phone with him a little while ago, and oddly enough, his computer IS broken. He's got a couple of 'em though.

Fox usually finds a way to pay things back - here's something to lure da Dawg out of the weeds.... :cool:

Attachments

• beer fox.jpg
    beer fox.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 4
Boy, if that was the dumbest thing I did all day, I'd be in great shape! I think you may be coming down a little hard on yourself!

I left my fly rod at stream one time. Had that weird sense of something not being right as I was driving for about 45 minutes and then it dawned on me. Jumped out of the truck and checked to find my empty rod case. Had to drive back and search for it with a flashlight. Easily found, but a lesson learned.

That happened to me last fall. As I was relaxing on the recliner watching Sunday night football after a long day of fishing the thought crossed my mind: I think I left my rod at the stream! It just so happens it was my favorite rod and meant a lot to me, so I jumped off the chair, put on my shoes, and made the 45min trek back out to the stream! Luckily the rod was right where I left it, but I definitely learned a lesson that day.

I also left a rod on top of the car before and drove off with it, only to see it tumble off in the rear view mirror. That happened on my trip to CO last year, so maybe I was just really excited to hit the next stream and completely forgot about putting the rod away. There was a dent on the reel(my most expensive reel of course..) but everything else was ok.

I've done a few other idiotic things before, but those two definitely take the cake.

Fox, you make me smile!

PS: Please note the extreme restraint utilized by me not teeing off on the title of your post.

Dave

Fox, more than once I have had to turn around and go home. One time I forgot my flyrod and another I forgot my boots and waders. One time halfway to the stream Old Lefty informed me he forgot his fishing license. We have all been there and I'm sure those kind of things will continue to happen. Hey we are all human. Well most of us are! :-o :lol:

Man that stinks when that happens, just recently after getting to the stream I found that my go to nymph box was still on the tying table. Another time I drove an hour in archery season started getting my stuff out of the truck... no arrows! :-x What can you do? It happens to all of us.

A couple of questions:
1. You had trout on, correct?
2. You at least had some flies?
3. And of course flyrod and line?

So I don't see where the problem lies. Unless you were unable to catch trout after you got angry with yourself.
Many a forgetfulnesses have launched new flies without a doubt.

Many a forgetfulnesses have launched new flies without a doubt.

Aint that the truth.

Besides, it seems that nearly every time I go fly fishing, I do not seem to have the right fly. That's my story and I am sticking with it.;-)

2 times this year in very remote areas I put a fly rod down to study two separate GPS units. I was hiking with pairs of trekking poles and had the fly rods bagged and broken down -- four piece 6'9" ones.. figured out the navigation aha! got on the move and - you guessed it - walked away from the fly rods... only realized much later. areas were so remote that even though I have a GPS trace I did not go back and look for them..

ah have to laugh about stuff like that

I also agree that you can edit flies get the snippers and make them smaller

If you're an idiot, I am a complete moron.

Over the years, I've forgotten waders, reels, fly boxes, licenses--before you could print multiple ones via computer--and once I even forgot everything! (I actually thought I had left my gear in the trunk of my car from a previous trip. I was so tired when I got home I had forgotten I quickly unloaded everything.)

I've always been absent minded. Now that I'm getting older it seems to happening more often.

Thanks to all, I feel a bit better about my "senior moment" (by the way, I really like this excuse). I really was laughing at myself but did know I needed to leave before the fall so that I remained laughing and didn't start balling my eyes out when the fish rejected anything I had and munched on tasty trico spinners!

Slight adendum to make myself sound even more "senior". When I got home yesterday, the flies weren't on my bench at all, instead after tying up a few flies to make sure I had enough, I put them in the box where I keep seasonal flies that won't be used again until next year. And to think this will probably only get worse as the years go by.

As my dad says, "it's hell getting old but it sure beats the alternative". :)

Foxgap239 wrote:
Thanks to all, I feel a bit better about my "senior moment" (by the way, I really like this excuse).

Greenghost didn't like it at all, but he will likely forget it soon enough.

oh, stuff just happens with gear and flies... I tried using skier water bottles that broke on a hot hike ... I realized that most of my water was gone.... that was not funny!

Some times we have a gallons worth of knowledge for a shot glass sized spot, some things are going to spill out!

Any more I am usually truly amazed when I get some where and figure out I DIDN'T forget something, ya know! Especially when I travel to say Erie steel heading or Pine creek or the Little j, all I'm thinking about is getting to the stream.

Hell, I'm that way just commuting back and forth to work.

The last word I think of to describe you would be idiot. You're one of the smartest fishermen I know. If you'd have called, I would have made an emergency trico delivery - that's what buddies are for.

I will have to agree with Ed on this one. Every time I fish with either one of you guys all I can do is think is thank you Don. With that being said I will NEVER trust your meteorological skills.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 2
Back