Illegal stocking on the Letort???

• Thread starter Dances_With_Brookies
  • Start date
Not very likely. The Letort never had a good rainbow population and if they are stocking bows........it would only diminish the wild brown trout population.

Dear Sal,

When Charlie and Vince fished it they still stocked the **** out of it. You won't hear that fact when the reverends speak in reverential tones of the "storied" LeTort now will you?

It's still just a drainage ditch with fish in it.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

>>and if they are stocking bows........it would only diminish the wild brown trout population.>>

Doesn't it depend upon how many RT are being stocked and how robust the wild BT pop. is in the stream as to whether there really, really is an adverse effect?

I mean, I'm not for stocking fish over existing wild trout pops, but with a relatively small number of stocked fish and a strong wild trout pop, it gets, IMO, to be a little bit like fretting whether 5 drops of hot water are going to completely melt the 18" of snow in the back yard.

There is a point where this stuff ceases to be based in facts and begins to take on more of the characteristics of religion. The location of this point is determined by the details of the instant situation. 1,000 stocked RT dumped on top of a class C wild brown trout pop is probably going to have an adverse impact. 300 RT dumped into an (I assume) strong BT pop like the Letort's, maybe not so much.

Just a viewpoint...

RLeep,

Im not disagreeing with that viewpoint. Im only saying it cant help the population though I doubt it hurts it also.

TimMurphy wrote:
Dear Sal,

When Charlie and Vince fished it they still stocked the **** out of it. You won't hear that fact when the reverends speak in reverential tones of the "storied" LeTort now will you?

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Are you sure about that? I thought Charlie Fox was the one initiated the idea of managing the Letort for wild trout.

If anyone wants to hitch a ride and help pay tolls with me we can help dances pluck some of them stockers out. I'm not joking buy the way :-D

I'm reading Charlie Fox's book on the LeTort right now and he and Marinaro did stock the creek, but it was in fact to bring in fish with the genetic tendencies to take dry flies. They also transplanted mayflies back then to get more surface action.
I don't agree with stocking fish on any Class A water, but if they are going to have a fishing derby, I'd much rather see them dump in some stupid stockies to kill then take wild fish.

Tim -
I helped Mr.Fox put in gravel beds and trout holding spots.I also saw many[caught a couple] four and five pounders.
Anyone who fished the Letort in the early sixties knows that was unquestionably the FINEST stream in the East.Bar none
I do believe they had some trouble in the seventies or eighties but you are WRONG about the earlier years.
Fabulous stream.
One of the top dozen in the world
Shame it wasn't preserved like the English and French chalks but we still had a frontier mentality back then.

Back