If you like glass...They're back!

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

The C.G.R. returns now with a brown blank! Great replacement for the C.G.T.! Sweet!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-CGR-Fiberglass-Fly-Rod/1873450.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26Ns%3DIS_NEW_FLAG%257C1%257C%257CSDATE%257C1%257C%257CPRODUCT_NAME%257C0%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DFly%2Brod%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_stype%3DSN%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26search%3DFly%2Brod%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts%26x%3D-738%26y%3D-52&Ntt=Fly+rod

Price is right and these should sell like hot cakes! I want a 593 or 664 for a Brookies!

might have to look at the 7/8 rod for steel. for smaller stuff the eagle claw featherlights do great at 25.00.

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

RCFetter wrote:
The rod looks nice and I like 3 pieces better than 4.

There is little doubt, the less sections the better. I wish the rod manufacturers would not force the multi piece rods on us. Give us a choice. Try a one piece, if you can find one...

The one thing that turned me off with the initial CGR was the gap at the spigot ferrule. And while I understand the purpose of the gap (designed for wear), it seemed excessive - like 1/4"+. To me this would represent 100 years worth of wear until the gap disappears. Well, maybe not quite that long. It was unsightly.

I do agree that less sections are better from my perspective. Can't understand the need for a 6 1/2' rod with 4 sections.

If you want another inexpensive alternative, I built the Kassic Glass 7' 3/4wt (3pc) and it's a nice small stream rod with a 4wf - they sell them already made as well. The 7.5' is listed as a 4wt, but I've read it's more for a 5.

http://theanglersroost.com/

Springer, thanks for that link, looks a like a good solution to a gap I have been looking to fill in my collection. Have you fished the 7' with a 3 wt line?

Springer, thanks for that link, looks a like a good solution to a gap I have been looking to fill in my collection. Have you fished the 7' with a 3 wt line?
No, I've been fishing with a 4wt because that's what I have, and it does nicely, and is versatile. I didn't buy the already made version, rather built on the same blank they also sell. I've read the Cabelas blanks are rather stuff, this is not at all, I suspect it would handle a 3wt well.

It's a 3pc rod with spigot ferrules; I read they provide an extra tip on the ones they make. A pretty color, somewhat translucent. PM me if you'd like more info.

PM sent.

I had my 6'6" 4 weight CGR out for the first time last Saturday. This is my first new fiberglass rod, and the shortest rod I've fished. I thoroughly enjoyed the slower casting stroke. It will take some getting-used-to.
I was surprised that I felt takes that I never noticed with graphite. Not a bad way to get a last use out of a year's liscence.

I just bought the new TFO glass 4/5 wt rod today. Love my little Orvis 3 wt glass.

Its a cheap fun little rod to use on small streams. Have a 3 wt perfect for wild streams with smaller fish.

Back