if you could only own 3 rods.....

7'9 4wt
10' 5wt
9' 8wt

Building a 14ft 8/9wt spey rod though, and I know once I learn how to whip that sucker around I doubt my 8wt will ever see the light of day again.

I would have to go with
7.5 ft 4 wt. I like it
9 ft 6 wt. Don't have one yet but I will build one sometime.
9ft 8 wt. Have an orvis frequent flyer. Works for bass/steelhead. It is stiff enough I think it would throw a 9wt line fine.

only three rods??? perish the thought.

can't be done I need a small stream 6' 2 or 3 wt
a 8to 9 foot 5 wt a 7wt a 10 wt and the 14 wt offshore to cover all my fishing needs.

8 foot 5 wt. - dries/wets/nymphs

9 ft. 7 wt.- Streamers/streamers/streamers/mouse flies

9 ft. 8 wt- Great lakes trib Rod/bass/carps/other warm water creatures

But yeah, What Tomitrout said.

tomitrout wrote:
only three rods??? perish the thought.
tomitrout I'm with you. I have been known to fish with 3 different flyrods during a single day of fishing. Variety is the spice of life I think. I'm thankful I have more than 3 to choose from.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
tomitrout I'm with you. I have been known to fish with 3 different flyrods during a single day of fishing. Variety is the spice of life I think. I'm thankful I have more than 3 to choose from.

Me too, WTT.

I rarely throw streamers and dries on the same rod and it's pretty common that I fish different types of streams in the same day. Some are ditches and some are fairly big rivers.

i think these types of threads are fun. Just because you see the diversity and differences in preference. Shows that there is no end all- be all and I like to hear the reasoning behind peoples choices.

Short 4 wt for small mountain streams with little casting room. I use a 6' 3" bamboo rod for this.

9' 4 wt as my primary rod for moderate size streams and low wind. I use a 5 piece graphite for this so it also doubles as a travel/pack rod.

9' 5 wt for a bit bigger water and less wind friendly conditions. Again graphite.

While I occasionally fish in situations that require other rods e.g. A 9 wt for stripers and bluefish or tossing big streamers and bass bugs with a 6 or 7 wt, these types of fishing are a small percentage of my on water time. >95% of my fishing could be handled with the 3 rods listed above.

9' 9 fast
9' 5 ultra fast
9' 7 med-fast

Might change the 9wt to a 10wt pending further investigation.

Ironically, I don't own a 7 and have no desire to own one. A 3 rod restriction would significantly raise the value of the lowly 7wt, imo.

Ha! Yeah, but I haven't fished it yet and never fished a ten footer. I should have just put AT LEAST 9 foot. lol Even when I used to spin fish the tribs I never used a short rod.

6'6'' custom rx7 2 wt.

9' ft rx8+ 6 wt. for swinging streamers and fishing for chrome

8'6'' 5wt. fiberglass for those days I like to feel a rod load.

I recently bought an 8 wt. for ny, pike, and early steel, but if only 3 were allowed, I would rid this in a second.

Back