If You Could Only Have 5 Flies

gancho1975

gancho1975

I am relatively new to the fly fishing and I am starting tying as well. I was wondering what everybody thought on this subject because I would like to concentrate on just tying a few flies to start out with so I could spend most of my time fishing. Any thoughts?

Simple answer, Pheasant Tail, Hares Ear, Zebra Midge,
Copper John, Bugger.

Hares Ear, Pheasant Tail, Elk Hair Caddis, Adams Parachute, Foam Beetle(or ant)

For this time of the year through summer, these in a few sizes & color variations will catch plenty of trout

I would let my fly patch decide that for me! :p

Seriously, pick your half dozen favorites. Although the list above is a good one.

Oh this link may help you out. http://www.troutflies.com/tutorials/ It's a bunch of great tutorials that give step by step instructions on a bunch of good patterns.

Adams, Elk Hair Caddis, Prince Nymph, Hare's Ear Nymph, Wooly Bugger

Deer or Elk Hair Caddis, Pheasant Tail, Hares Ear Nymph, Wooly Bugger, Green Weenie.

Honorable Mention: Orange Scud

thats easy!

prince nymph, copper john, pheasent tail, adams and last but not least. the famous woolly bugger.
i see a pattern in most of our favorites! :-D
but thank god we dont have to choose and i can carry all kinds. i dont think i could live with out the san juan worm, greenie weenie, eggs and all those caddis flies. scuds and cress bugs.........and the list goes on! theres always a fly in my box that will work, its just a matter of weeding through them till i find it! :-D

shoot i forgot: my honorable mention is the hares ear. make sure you get that one!

Yes, there is a pattern here for sure! Great selections. I also like the San Juan worm, it can be deadly when fished after a rain.

Hare's ear, Elk Hair Caddis, Phesant tail, San Juan Worm, Blue Wing Olive

If you were fishing primarily limestoners, I would switch the San Juan with a grey scud.

I agreee with all of the posts

but where is the Muddler Minnow?

usually that one is still in my fly box! :-D

For a beginning fly tyer, you need simple flies that catch fish. My choices would be:

Hares ear nymph. (Natural dark and light HE plus black and olive will cover a bunch of insects)

San Juan worm

Green weenie

Foam beetle

Wooly Bugger – black, olive, brown and white.

Adams Dry (for darker mayfly hatches)

Cahill or Sulphur Dry (for lighter colored mayfly hatches)

Elk hair Caddis (lighter and darker colors)

If you tied and carried these flies in various colors and sizes you would catch trout anywhere.

This site has the recipes and tying instructions for most of these patterns:

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/index.cfm

Good luck.

(sorry Bruno no muddler here either)

1. Tan Elk Hair Caddis
2. Black Ant
3. Adams
4. Muddler Minnow
5. Griffith's Gnat

Adams (14-20)
Elk Hair Caddis (14-18)
ANTs (14-18)
Pheasant Tail Nymph (12-18)
Wooly Bugger (8-10)
San Juan Worm (16)
Honorable mention: Griffiths Gnat (16-22)

As a new fly fisher, I imagine you will want to do more dry fly fishing. The first 3 patterns will cover may flys, caddis, and terrestrials. I would definitely have ants, if you want to have an easy tie as well as catching a lot of fish on dry flies, that is. A PT nymph will usually be as effective as any other nymph. Tie them in all sizes. Wooly buggers will give you a good streamer, as well as another nymph pattern if you want to fish it as a nymph. And it will catch fish on days when you may have trouble catching them, as well as when the water is high after rains. And yeah, I know you only asked for 5, but San Juan Worms are so easy to tie it's ridiculous, and they often are about the easiest sub-surface fly for a newbie to catch fish with, that I had to add them to the list. And I added Griffith Gnats as a midge option, although very small Adams can also be used for midges.

As a new fly tier, these patterns will give you some experience at tieing a gamut of different styles and techniques, and they are fairly easy. You should also try tieing some parachute style Adams to learn this technique, as well as the fact that they work real well. If you don't want to tie all the sizes I gave, tie the middle sizes only. If you are going to tie a range of sizes for a particular fly, start with the larger sizes first, because it's easier to tie and learn the technique this way.

Thanks to everyone that responded. I will take your advise and start tying and fishing. Good luck to all!

I only carry two streamer just in case:

Black nose Dace;
and a Rabbit hair

Joe E

Jeez, if I were limited to five I'd get the shakes. But here they are:
GRHE, elk hair caddis, Nemes soft hackle, G. Lafontaine's Grey Coughlin, woolybugger.

Coughlin

Back