how to

afishinado wrote:
I have a lot of success doing it this way:

[size=xxsmall]dropper fly[/size]
_________/_________[size=xxsmall]point fly[/size]

I use the bottom tag of a surgeons knot for the dropper. To be honest, this rig catches more fish for me than tying to the bend or eye of the fly. Fly-fishermen for the last 100 years or so mostly used droppers to fish multiple flies and today's competition fishermen rig this way.

Only the fish know for sure, though....

This

EDIT: afish do you prefer a double or triple? Think Heritage once said one was different from the other because of the way it offests the tag end? I forget and will ask him tomorrow if you or him do not respond.

I think afish's rig is like the one I described. Not sure the details of how he attaches the dropper tag, and what knots he uses. Mine is:

Heavier tippet-->(blood knot)-->lighter tippet --> (clinch knot) to point fly.

At blood knot between heavier and lighter tippets, leave long tag end on heavier tippet. Attach dropper to that.

When dropper gets too short, snip it off. Clinch knot new heavier tippet directly to line ABOVE the blood knot.

Because everyone does it different, I always see confusion regarding the term "dropper fly". In this rig, the end fly is termed the point fly. The dropper(s) is UP the line from it. I've used it on dry droppers too, and the dry is the dropper, the nymph is the point!

If attaching from the bend per the other method, then the dropper is the end fly, i.e. the point and dropper are one and the same.

Here is a real diagram of the rig I use (below). Ususally one fly on the point (end) and one on the dropper tag. I use the lower tag end on a triple surgeons knot (a double surgeons works too, but as Mr. Schaefer says it doesn't lie as flat) Pcray uses a blood knot which works just as well, but I find the surgeons easier to tie.

Attachments

• czech%20nymphing rig.jpg
    czech%20nymphing rig.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 2
SBecker wrote:
Think Heritage once said one was different from the other because of the way it offests the tag end?

Yup, there's a difference. The tag on a double surgeon's knot sticks out at a greater angle from the connection than the triple surgeon.

This keeps the dropper away from the rest of the tippet, and helps reduce tangles.

I prefer to use the bottom tag of the knot for the dropper, as this is the heavier of the two tags, and like to keep it short (3 to 5"), as this also helps keep the tag from twisting around the tippet.

This is nothing new, and while the comps guys do this, wet fly fishermen have been doing this for centuries.

If you want to add a dropper to a rig that doesn't have one, all you have to do is clinch knot a short piece of tippet around the leader above a knot. Instant dropper. There's other knots that allow the dropper to "swivel" around the tippet too (not comp legal though). Lots of options...

Heritage-Angler wrote:
If you want to add a dropper to a rig that doesn't have one, all you have to do is clinch knot a short piece of tippet around the leader above a knot. Instant dropper. There's other knots that allow the dropper to "swivel" around the tippet too (not comp legal though). Lots of options...
I like this option quite a bit, a couple people mentioned this so it must work well. I'm going to give that a try, better than reworking the leader for sure. Thanks.

wow thanks for all the info looks like i have a lot of options to try
adam

It's only as complicated as you want it to be.

If you do a dropper like myself, afish, and many others here, as Heritage Angler says, one of the keys is length and diameter of the dropper. You wanna use thicker tippet and keep it short, or else it'll wrap around the main leader.

Also, nomatter how you do it, lots of shot and multiple flies significantly increases the likelihood of tangles. And not the unwrap type of tangles, we're talking the nasty, cut your line and rebuild type. To avoid this, don't go nuts on the casting. Open loops, just a flip really.

Here is a link about fishing tandem setups:

http://midcurrent.com/books/fishing-tandem-flies-other-combinations/

Also, use to have a difficult time tying clinch knots to the tend of the hook until I followed this free hand method:

http://www.mudbugco.com/flyfish/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51:freehand-clinch-knot&catid=38:fishing&Itemid=73

I hope this helps.

Don

I really like the method Afish and pcray use. I don't like to tie tandem rigs off of the bend of the hook, so I've been tying a clinch knot on the first fly and leaving a long tag end and attaching the second fly to that. But I might switch it up and try it off the surgeon's knot. Proves you learn something new every day!

pcray1231 wrote:
If you do a dropper like myself, afish, and many others here, as Heritage Angler says, one of the keys is length and diameter of the dropper. You wanna use thicker tippet and keep it short, or else it'll wrap around the main leader.

Also, nomatter how you do it, lots of shot and multiple flies significantly increases the likelihood of tangles. And not the unwrap type of tangles, we're talking the nasty, cut your line and rebuild type. To avoid this, don't go nuts on the casting. Open loops, just a flip really.

x2

This is where tippet rings could be useful. I've never used one (or even seen one), but it's something I need to look into. Replace tippet knots with tippet ring.

Back