How To Start

So what type of vise and materials should I look into?

Start off with a cheap vise and upgrade once you are hooked. Materials I would not skimp on. Choose the flies that you want to begin tying (ones that you will actually fish) get a material list for those and then slowly expand.

I have some of the books coming my way that have been recommended.
So what is everyones opinion on buying a starter kiit from l.l.bean or orvis? Is it a good way to get started or should I buy materials for the flies I know that I want to tie and a vise?

No starter kits. Visit a local fly shop and ask for help, be sure to set a budget (doesn't hurt to ask for a discount). Better tools and materials, better service and results.

beadhead2 wrote:
Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying book

Just got this book in the mail today and can't wait to have enough time to sit and read through it. Quick browse showed great photos and clear, step by step, instructions.

O.K. so I have been looking over Craven's book. I know that he recommends a dyna king vise, but I am looking at a c clamp vise from orvis. Its around $40. Is this a good starting place?

yeas,that's a pretty good starting point.

however,cabela's has a vise for 12.99 that is probably just as good,their AA.

you could use the $27 you save on materials,or a whip finisher,hackle pliers,bobbin holder etc.

once again,what flies do you fish the most?

Pheasant tail nymph, cooper john, bwo, red quill, hare's ear nymph, hendrickson

vimeo/you tube tyers show you how to tie fly patterns but most of them do not explain the how what when and why a certain technique is used but a good tying instructor will teach you all of that and more when you take fly tying lessons at your local fly shop. lessons will also shorten the learning curve substantially.

your best bet it taking tying lessons at whatever local fly shop that can accommodate your schedule.

i recommend charlie cravens books and the the fly tyers benchside reference (the bible on techniques)

cravensbasicflytying.jpeg

Fly-Tier-s-Benchside-Reference-9781571881267.jpg

I would try to get some of the basics down first without going to a class. youtube has a million videos on this. Get a little grasp on it first. You will get more benifit from a class if you do.

I would suggest also not buying a fly tying kit. put post up like "what do i need to tie the following flies?" or something. IMO the kits don't have all that great of material either. I can ship you one of my older vices, and some other tools i donty use and some started material if you would like.

These would not be great by any means but could get you started. Pm me if you are interested.

i cannot recommend a fly tying kit as i do not have the financial resources to buy every brand out there, work with each and every kit and provide a proper evaluation. i don't think a lot of tyers can do that either. i would agree that there may be kits that are better than other kits but i have no knowledge of which ones.

do you pick a tying tools only kit?

do you pick a materials only kit?

do you pick a tools and materials kit?

(GOOGLE "fly tying kit" and you'll see what i mean)

i still believe your local fly shop is the best source for fly tying equipment and materials. most shops have a price point to meet everybody's needs.

thanks for looking

norm

I just bought the terra vice and think it is decent for the money. It is made in India and I think is discontinued. it is a knock off Regal. I just had a member of another forum donate a ton of material and tools to me. He had bought an estate sale and would not use it. He had no clue what any of it was and sent it to me. I picked up one thing and there was a Regal Vice. I have wanted one of these for ever. The guy will not let me pay him back in anyway. I am pumped to try all of the new stuff.

my offer still stands to send you a care package to get you started.

I think i will just use the Terra as a travling vice.

I started fly tying the winter after I took up fly fishing mainly because there were no fly shops close to where I lived in Beaver County, PA at the time. I bought a couple of books and a basic fly tying kit, but didn't really make much headway until I took a class at South Hills Rod and Reel which is no longer in business. That class, which was very inexpensive, taught me most of the fundamentals that I still use today. I would not recommend buying a fly tying kit. If I had to do it over again I would buy a vice and some basic tools and then add the materials as you need them. Your local fly shop should be able to help you out if you tell them what you will be tying. If there is not a fly shop in the area that has a class you can make it to you could try the local TU chapter as mentioned before. You might just meet a new friend who could show you the ropes for free. There are really a lot of good fly tying videos on both Youtube and Vimeo. Once you get the basics down you will be set for a long time to come.

Tom

I know a lot of people say to shy away from internet videos, but quality on them has gotten much better in the past 3 years. I learned to tie all the basics on Youtube and wound up buying books later down the road. Don't underestimate the power of the internet.

No need to spend $20 for a book on tying PTs and HENs when you can find half a million tutorials online.

our sponsor Allen Flyfishing now has some turtorials on their page as well. Rick Pm sent.

Rick,

I started tying not long ago and found this youtube channel to be very, very good videos for fly tying.

Tightlines Productions Fly Tying Channel

Also, PM me your address I have several vises that were given to me and I would like to return the favor to someone starting out.

Jerry

Back